Factory Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbd-3

Reaction score
I was reading the thread about brake controllers....Is it hard to put in a factory brake controller if it didn't come with one???? I have a 2010 limited that i would like to do this to....Thanks Jerry

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory brake controller is ok but isn’t the best. On the 2013 MY it started. You’d have to retrofit it and get a different panel. I’d opt for a Tekonsha, mine works well.

Last edited:

mwells

Reaction score
I had a Tekonsha on my 2010 Expy EL. Now have a Expy Ltd. EL with factory controller. Tekonsha worked much, much better and has more adjustment to customize.

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on the trailer's brakes, I would go for aftermarket over the integrated.

If the trailer has EoH, the first years of integrated brake controllers are noted as not working with EoH. Although, I once rented a F350 (not sure if it was MY 12 or 13) which was EoH compliant.

Having ITBC is nice, but plugging in a good aftermarket controller is fairly easy for a DIY'er and a good compromise. As mentioned, Tekonsha makes a nice line and have used a couple different generations of the P-2. If I had to go with another aftermarket controller, I'd go with the P-3 as it has a couple more features and can change color to something less distracting like red.