flowmaster cat question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gser425

Reaction score
I do alot of searching and reading on here and could probably look for myself but have 20 mth twin boys so not much garage time these days. Anyway, I'm looking at putting flowmaster 225 cats in the front and deleting the rears. Do our oem cats have sensors actually on the cats or only before and after? And does anyone foresee these causing a check engine light problem? thank you, Stuart
its an 05 xlt I put this in my signature after the fact it must only add it to posts after being edited

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i believe theyre actually on the cat...im trying to find a shop now so i can upgrade the cats and do the delete too

mc0311grunt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the only sensors are o2 sensors. Those wouldnt be on the cat. If for some reason they are you can always have a bung welded onto the new exhaust and reinstall the sensors

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had all 4 of my cats replaced. The O2 sensors are before and after the first cat. So you can delete the rears without any problems. If you are also changing the front ones with a high flow cat you may have problems. What I would do is get the work done and drive it around for awhile and see if it does throw a code. If it does all you have to do is go buy 2 spark plug non-foulers and put those on the rear O2 sensors to bring the sensor a little bit out of the stream. It should solve the check engine light.

Victor

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gser425

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses guys. This is sort of a follow up question. I may replace my muffler. I know from reading that the thrush welded sound very similar to flowmaster 40's. Ialso know there is a stainless version to rule out the rust issue. This is a family car but I do like inexpensive little changes to personalize it. Will a thrush or flowmaster make it sound like some hot rod or will it give a nice rumble which is what I really want?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will only give a rumble...not hot rod sound

Holy Roller Christian Car Club (HRC3) National Member...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ur not doing duals...or true duals so it won't be that loud anyway...but you'll know u have something

Holy Roller Christian Car Club (HRC3) National Member...