Front seat removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just typed in how do I move seat on expedition when motor doesn't work. Sorry I tried to send it but my phone is pretty basic. I dont see how your going to get the rear bolts to clear seat track without moving the seat forward.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
What Moose is saying is to rip the cable off the motor (I'm supposing it has a cable in a housing like a bicycle brake cable, or what we old guys used to remember as speedometer cables) and spin the cable inside the housing with a drill chuck to "actuate" the seat gears and move the thing back.

If that can't be arranged, have you tried prying against the top of the wrench to keep it planted in the Torx bolt? If all fails, locate a new seat base from a junk yard and just destroy the thing to get it out. I know that's barbaric, but at times we all must fire with fire.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trainmaster I crawled under my seat about an hour ago, and sadly I didn't see any cabled motors, just wires. I wish I had an answer for him. Their must be a bypass of the forward motor that goes front/ rear under the seat. I keep looking online, but don't find one for Expedition/f150 anybody done this motor bypass?

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
hey Moose I took the weekend off got back too it this morning. I bought 4 nuts to attach to the end of the bolt which I thought would be a fairly easy task but hahaha no such luck. However my wife and I was messing with it and I set on the back seat I pushed while she pushed the button, and I want you know it moved about 1 inch and we did that a total of 3 times and I got it to move about 2 and a half inches but no more. Now that did not help me, but would you have any suggestions what else I might do, would you think a little oil might help and where I could put it. By the way I took one of the bolts with me to get the right nuts but I am haveing trouble get them on. This is a job from HELL and any other ideas you might have would be welcome. THANKS

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the motor for going front back is on its last leg. Spray the tracks that the seat rides on. Be sure to get the t55 bolts on the front off first before you get seat to slide forward. Also tap lightly on the 3 motors, then try the forward switch. I'm thinking you've got just one chance to get the track forward. Since your problem, my SUV's been blowing out the 30 amp maxi fuse every time I try to angle seat. Luckily mines all the way back. I've got a paper copy coming of the wiring schematic so I know what I'm up against. Last thing run your hand along both seat tracks to be sure nothing is binding them, paper, coins, etc. With your motors as weak as they are, your going to need all the help you can. Push to shove you might need an experienced shop to finish the job, but I have faith, you'll get it off.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Hey Moose, it 4:30 on Monday I am wore out and just for the heck of it before I came in the house for the evening my wife and I tried one more time to move that dadburn seat and I finally got it forward enough to get to the head of that bolt. I can now use the t55 torx socket to the head of the bolt. Now, is there anything I should know about taking the motor off to see what might be wrong with it if there nothing obvious, are there gears on the inside as well as outside. Is it what I call timed? I sure appreciate all of your help

Plati

Reaction score
Maybe its just the switch and not the motor?

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
MrSticker, how would I check the switch if it not work right all time time, I am not a mechanic just an old man. I have some knowledge but need a little help. When I pushed the seat forward it kinda sounded like gears fast moving.

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel your pain Mr. Ted. I a similar issue in my truck as I was trying to upgrade the seat. The seat was pushed far enough back that I could not access the bolts, and I could not get the seat to move forward. I ended up taking the seat apart. By removing some of the bolts and screws that attached the seat to its mounting, I was able to move the seat out of the way enough to where I could access the bolts from the top and disconnect the mounting bracket.

One Caveat - proceed with caution. In my case, I was replacing an old worn out seat with a new one from a donor vehicle, so I wasn't worried about having to put the original seat back together.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69