Fuel smell after swapping fuel filter....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wal92tt

Reaction score
I swapped out the fuel filter last week on my 99 EB 5.4 4x4. The difference in performance is amazing! It's peppier, hauls butt, and the engine sounds the way a V8 should now! I went with Motor Craft. I depressurized the fuel line by pressing down on the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Ever since, I smell gas when I drive/park the truck. No leaks from the filter or the fuel rail. What could be the problem? There's also a code P1131, bank 1 too lean.
The pcv lines are in good condition. I've replaced/fix any leaks/issues.

Any thoughts or does this come up often enough that it's an easy diagnosis/fix? I'll see what I can research in the mean time......

Last edited:

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
If you still smell gas then you have a leak. This can be dangerous. Determine if only vapor or is there a drip? That will point you in right direction. Don’t delay for safety reasons.

OP
OP
Wal92tt

Wal92tt

Reaction score
If you still smell gas then you have a leak. This can be dangerous. Determine if only vapor or is there a drip? That will point you in right direction. Don’t delay for safety reasons.
So far I can''t see/find leaks anywhere. I'll run it and check for the smell from the exhaust.....

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yeah, what he said: dont mess around, find that leak ASAP.

I got one stupid question, (just to rule it out). I never used the Schrader valve to bleed the pressure and was wondering how much comes out when you do that. You didnt by chance spray a hood liner and now are the proud owner of the worlds largest gasoline scented air freshener, did you?

Not to sound too much like an old lady, but you might want to throw a fire extinguisher in the car until you sort this out.

Looked up the P1131 code. It talks a lot about the O2 sensor closest to the manifold.
I had a different code for lean and it turned out to be an egr and another vac hose. If all that is in good shape like you said and its unmetered air, not a faulty component, maybe intake manifold is cracked or leaking at the gasket. A $50 smoke check would rule out a vac leak.
There was a list of suspected things like the O2 sensor, Maf, etc... I am sure you already looked it up, if not let me know I can post it in here.
Good Luck

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Start it and check while its 'pressurized'. The so-called, quick connectors may not be seated. Mine went on and needed a bit of force to click. I changed my filter without releasing pressure. I lost a couple of ounces of gas and it just dripped. The schrader valve may also be stuck.