Go over 6 months between oil changes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We are no longer in the Jiffy Lube 3 Months 3K miles era. Synth oil should be replaced based on mileage and/or hard driving like towing. Synth oil last 5-8 years on the shelf so it will not breakdown in 6 months in the driveway. My rule is once a year or the mileage threshold whichever comes first. Too many people go overboard and change fluids like they are going out of style.
I am probably still in the change more than I need to. Dealer does my oil changes under a VIP plan, and I can have 5 a year. Normally ends up being 3, and it is the Semi-Syn Motorcraft oil, so I average 5000-6000 per oil change.

OP
OP
LG_123

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP, sorry I had to address the bad info before responding to you. If you are using full synthetic, you are perfectly fine. It does not breakdown anywhere as quickly line standard or even semi-syn while sitting. If at all possible, have somebody start it and drive it around the block regularly. It is less about the oil and more about the lubrication and spinning everything a bit. More than the Motor, all of the running gear. It is even good for the tires.
Thanks for the detailed responses. I did get the car driven a couple times over the 5 weeks we were away.

I’ve probably been changing my oil more often than I should but I want this car to get to 400,000 miles like some of the owners who bought in the early 2000s!

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put only between 3k and 5K annually on my '03, been doing annual oil changes since 2006 with no problems. Mobil 1 5w20.