Oil Change Interval in Winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone change their oil change interval in the Winter?

I normaly go 5,000-8,000 kms (not miles) between changes depending on whether I've been towing or not. In winter I don't tow and had thought the oil might last longer than normal because our car seldom even gets heated all the way up with all the short trips around town.

I've always used full-syntheci Mobil1 5W30 and we're around 90,000 kms total now. 2019 Max Platinum.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone change their oil change interval in the Winter?

I normaly go 5,000-8,000 kms (not miles) between changes depending on whether I've been towing or not. In winter I don't tow and had thought the oil might last longer than normal because our car seldom even gets heated all the way up with all the short trips around town.

I've always used full-syntheci Mobil1 5W30 and we're around 90,000 kms total now. 2019 Max Platinum.

What does your oil-life percentage monitor show in cold weather with short trips?

I’ve always thought cold-weather, short-trip driving is very hard on engine oil, as the oil does not fully heat-up to burn off any contaminants and moisture?

OP
OP
LG_123

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What does your oil-life percentage monitor show in cold weather with short trips?

I’ve always thought cold-weather, short-trip driving is very hard on engine oil, as the oil does not fully heat-up to burn off any contaminants and moisture?
If I went by the oil life monitor in the car, I wouldn't be changing it until 20,000kms which I'm sure is unhealthy. So I never pay any attention to it.

But I just went to look and it is degrading faster than normal. It's currently recommending I change after 10,000 kms (I'm at nearly 5,000 now).

I'lll likely wait another couple months until the weather starts warming up to do it.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Full Synthetic at 5,000 kilometers is probably wasting a good amount of oil, IMO.

Oil life monitor reads average life of the oil based upon driving conditions, not some form of instant analysis, from my understanding. I've never seen mine go past 12,000 kms before it shows its near due for a change.

I typically change out the oil on the Expedition and the 5.0 F150 around the 8k-10k kms mark. Each time the waste oil looks fairly decent, whatever that may mean.
I'd stick to your regular schedule and not overthink it.

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
I used to change the oil at 9k miles, using Schaeffer’s 9000. I got tired of paying for it and switched to Ford blend every 8k miles. I currently have 175k miles. I’m not sure why you would change for the winter months unless you’re running thinner weight.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to change the oil at 9k miles, using Schaeffer’s 9000. I got tired of paying for it and switched to Ford blend every 8k miles. I currently have 175k miles. I’m not sure why you would change for the winter months unless you’re running thinner weight.
your vehicle model year is?

OP
OP
LG_123

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the input

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just use common sense. Colder weather is harsher starts; change it ‘more often’. Since people are all over the place on when to change oil in these vehicles, it’s really up to you.

I use the oil life monitor as a gauge for oil ‘wear’ (whatever that means), but aim for 4 to 7k. If the oil life is dropping faster, than change it earlier, and visa versa. Absolute value doesn’t matter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire