Grinding noise when turning the wheel 2019 expedition limited max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
So update after a few weeks. Front diff and grinding is gone but the low speed popping noise is still evident when starting my drive in the morning.

Was someone on this thread saying it might be a body seam making contact?
Pulling the body from the frame as a fix?

I remember reading something to that effect but cannot find it.

OP
OP
W

walker40425

Reaction score
I will write the final resolution in case anyone else experiences this issue.

Returned the expedition to the dealership Wednesday September 13th. Mileage 58,999. Issue was still present, I just had to wait until they had a vehicle to provide. Expedition was returned to me September 29th. They tried multiple repairs as documented below, and the service tech would state issues is resolved. Luckily the service advisor and manger would verify prior to calling me, and it wasn't so they would take it back in. At the end of all this the issue is resolved, however I can not tell you specifically what it was or what was done to repair it since so much was done and at some point it was actually resolved. Overall, the service advisor was good to deal with, but questions remain regarding the quality of their actual mechanics. It took three months to resolve this, and I am just glad it is in the rear view.

Their notes:

Guest states still experiencing the same noise from the front end. Check and advise.
Steering and suspension repairs.

Verified noise concern present, although different noise from last visit (trust me it was the same noise from EVERY visit). Found no related codes or bulletins. Applied vacuum to IWE vacuum lines, holds 23 INGH for 15 mins. Lift and Inspect. Found driver side front axle seal is separating and metal seal collar is contacting CV axle. Recommend SPW replacement of seal and retest. Replaced axle seal and retest, still getting noise from front end. Lift and listen to front diff while running on rack in 4x4. Noise coming from inner pinion bearing area. Removed front diff and disassembled, fount pitting in pinion bearing race, and a carrier race, metal in fluid. No concerns noted with gear teeth. Replaced bearings, seals, and assembled per WSM. Test drive, noise concern in front diff is resolved.

Parts:
AL3Z*4B416*A SEAL -DUST
2L1Z*3N134*AA SEAL
C7AZ*4628*A CUP
D0AZ*4630*AA CONE AND ROLLER - BEARING
B7A*4616*A CUP
B7A-4621*A BEARING ASY - DRIVING PINION
NL3Z*4220*A BAERING ASY - DIFFERENTIAL

Verified concern. Noise coming from front end. Lift and listen to front diff and wheel bearings while running on rack in 4x4. Noise coming from inner pinion bearing area. Removed front diff and dissembled, found pitting in pinion bearing race, and a carrier race. Metal in fluid. No concern noted with gear teeth. Replaced bearings, seals, and assembled per WSM. Test drive, noise concern in front diff resolved.

Parts:
JL1Z*1104*G* HUB ASY - WHEEL
*W706890*S439 BOLT
*N802827*S100A NUT - HEX - FLANGED
*W720613*S439 BOLT AND WASHER ASY - HEX HEAD
JL1Z*1104*G HUB ASY -WHEEL
*W706890*S439 BOLT

Verified concern. Rotational noise coming from front end. After diff repair. Lift and inspect with stethoscope, unable to isolate. Test drive, noise coming from left side wheel bearing. Replaced and retest. Concern improved but not resolved. installed chassis ears and test drive. remaining noise coming from RF wheel bearing. Replaced RF wheel bearing and retest. Concern resolved at this time, no further action required.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will write the final resolution in case anyone else experiences this issue.

Returned the expedition to the dealership Wednesday September 13th. Mileage 58,999. Issue was still present, I just had to wait until they had a vehicle to provide. Expedition was returned to me September 29th. They tried multiple repairs as documented below, and the service tech would state issues is resolved. Luckily the service advisor and manger would verify prior to calling me, and it wasn't so they would take it back in. At the end of all this the issue is resolved, however I can not tell you specifically what it was or what was done to repair it since so much was done and at some point it was actually resolved. Overall, the service advisor was good to deal with, but questions remain regarding the quality of their actual mechanics. It took three months to resolve this, and I am just glad it is in the rear view.

Their notes:

Guest states still experiencing the same noise from the front end. Check and advise.
Steering and suspension repairs.

Verified noise concern present, although different noise from last visit (trust me it was the same noise from EVERY visit). Found no related codes or bulletins. Applied vacuum to IWE vacuum lines, holds 23 INGH for 15 mins. Lift and Inspect. Found driver side front axle seal is separating and metal seal collar is contacting CV axle. Recommend SPW replacement of seal and retest. Replaced axle seal and retest, still getting noise from front end. Lift and listen to front diff while running on rack in 4x4. Noise coming from inner pinion bearing area. Removed front diff and disassembled, fount pitting in pinion bearing race, and a carrier race, metal in fluid. No concerns noted with gear teeth. Replaced bearings, seals, and assembled per WSM. Test drive, noise concern in front diff is resolved.

Parts:
AL3Z*4B416*A SEAL -DUST
2L1Z*3N134*AA SEAL
C7AZ*4628*A CUP
D0AZ*4630*AA CONE AND ROLLER - BEARING
B7A*4616*A CUP
B7A-4621*A BEARING ASY - DRIVING PINION
NL3Z*4220*A BAERING ASY - DIFFERENTIAL

Verified concern. Noise coming from front end. Lift and listen to front diff and wheel bearings while running on rack in 4x4. Noise coming from inner pinion bearing area. Removed front diff and dissembled, found pitting in pinion bearing race, and a carrier race. Metal in fluid. No concern noted with gear teeth. Replaced bearings, seals, and assembled per WSM. Test drive, noise concern in front diff resolved.

Parts:
JL1Z*1104*G* HUB ASY - WHEEL
*W706890*S439 BOLT
JL1Z*1104*G HUB ASY -WHEEL
*W706890*S439 BOLT

Verified concern. Rotational noise coming from front end. After diff repair. Lift and inspect with stethoscope, unable to isolate. Test drive, noise coming from left side wheel bearing. Replaced and retest. Concern improved but not resolved. installed chassis ears and test drive. remaining noise coming from RF wheel bearing. Replaced RF wheel bearing and retest. Concern resolved at this time, no further action required.
Thanks for sharing the fix!

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was probably your noise: pitting in pinion bearing race, and a carrier race, as this can cause grinding noise. Once replaced noise will stop until next time.

OP
OP
W

walker40425

Reaction score
This was probably your noise: pitting in pinion bearing race, and a carrier race, as this can cause grinding noise. Once replaced noise will stop until next time.
Agreed, but this brings up the question of what actually happened on the 8/31/23 service when they noted a bearing race pitted at the time with damage to the pinon gear and replaced all front differential bearings, gears, and seals and the noise was still there. My "hunch" which I have no way to substantiate, is they didn't do everything they said they did on the 8/31/23 service. Or, maybe they got bad replacement parts. Either way, I wanted to document the process in case anyone else ever has the same issue and gets in the same situation I did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire