Grinding noise when turning the wheel 2019 expedition limited max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walker40425

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2019 Expedition Limited max that has mad the same noise for quite some time. It's a whirling type sound when you reach approx. 30 miles per hour and then a grinding sound when you turn the wheel ~ 2-5 degrees to the left. It has been the the dealership now 4 times, and the sound still exists despite what the dealer says every time I pick it up. Here are the services provided:

06/08/23: Mileage 55,602. Unable to verify a concern.

07/11/23: Mileage 56,872. Removed and replaced wheel hub/bearing per previous diag. Vehicle now operates and sounds as expected (Lie: noise is still present). Replaced front left caliper asy.

08/14/23: Mileage 58,025. Inspected vehicle and was unable to verify customers concern at this time. Performed TSB 22-2219. Checked vacuum line and pressure tested IWE and it passed. Road tested vehicle again and was unable to verify sound at this time (lie; service manager round with me after they returned vehicle and noise was still easy detected).

08/31/23: Mileage 58,407. Verified concern. Noise sounds coming from IWE's used chassis ear and verified noise coming from IWE. Replaced both front IWE and retest. Noise improved, but not resolved. Lift vehicle and run in 4x4. Excessive noise coming from internal of front diff. Recommend tear down to assess damages. Removed and disassembled front Diff. Found side bearing race pitted and burred heavily. Bearing seizing. Damages to gears. Replaced bearings and installed new pinion and ring gears. Differential and spider gears ok. Assembled diff following WSM procedures. Test drive, concerns resolved at this time, no further action required. Lies- Drove less than a mile and the sound is still there.

Brakes are good, tires are "great" per their inspection. The noise is persistent regardless if you are in two wheel drive, four wheel drive, accelerating, cruising speed, or braking. It's always there.

I need help. This dealership is beyond painful to deal with. They are not verifying the noise is gone. It is a grinding sound, and honestly I am concerned for my and my families safety driving this vehicle I paid over 75K. If it is under the Ford power train warranty I can go to any other Ford dealership, but I was a dummy when I bought the rig and the extended warranty is not thru Ford, but a third party that requires me to go to the same dealership.

Any ideas at all? Any info is greatly apprecaited.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2019 Expedition Limited max that has mad the same noise for quite some time. It's a whirling type sound when you reach approx. 30 miles per hour and then a grinding sound when you turn the wheel ~ 2-5 degrees to the left. It has been the the dealership now 4 times, and the sound still exists despite what the dealer says every time I pick it up. Here are the services provided:

06/08/23: Mileage 55,602. Unable to verify a concern.

07/11/23: Mileage 56,872. Removed and replaced wheel hub/bearing per previous diag. Vehicle now operates and sounds as expected (Lie: noise is still present). Replaced front left caliper asy.

08/14/23: Mileage 58,025. Inspected vehicle and was unable to verify customers concern at this time. Performed TSB 22-2219. Checked vacuum line and pressure tested IWE and it passed. Road tested vehicle again and was unable to verify sound at this time (lie; service manager round with me after they returned vehicle and noise was still easy detected).

08/31/23: Mileage 58,407. Verified concern. Noise sounds coming from IWE's used chassis ear and verified noise coming from IWE. Replaced both front IWE and retest. Noise improved, but not resolved. Lift vehicle and run in 4x4. Excessive noise coming from internal of front diff. Recommend tear down to assess damages. Removed and disassembled front Diff. Found side bearing race pitted and burred heavily. Bearing seizing. Damages to gears. Replaced bearings and installed new pinion and ring gears. Differential and spider gears ok. Assembled diff following WSM procedures. Test drive, concerns resolved at this time, no further action required. Lies- Drove less than a mile and the sound is still there.

Brakes are good, tires are "great" per their inspection. The noise is persistent regardless if you are in two wheel drive, four wheel drive, accelerating, cruising speed, or braking. It's always there.

I need help. This dealership is beyond painful to deal with. They are not verifying the noise is gone. It is a grinding sound, and honestly I am concerned for my and my families safety driving this vehicle I paid over 75K. If it is under the Ford power train warranty I can go to any other Ford dealership, but I was a dummy when I bought the rig and the extended warranty is not thru Ford, but a third party that requires me to go to the same dealership.

Any ideas at all? Any info is greatly apprecaited.
Ford powertrain warranty is 5 years/60k miles?

OP
OP
W

walker40425

Reaction score
Yes, the warranty is 5 years/60k for the power train. What I mean is if it is an issue that is not powertrain related, it would have to be covered by the 3rd party warranty.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the warranty is 5 years/60k for the power train. What I mean is if it is an issue that is not powertrain related, it would have to be covered by the 3rd party warranty.
I quote the following paragraph from another user's post:

"Additionally, the vehicle's Powertrain Warranty may cover repairs within the following guidelines...

"Extended warranty coverage periods are available for certain vehicle parts and conditions. Specifically, (1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt),turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump; Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints. Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear),center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints." "

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I quote the following paragraph from another user's post:

"Additionally, the vehicle's Powertrain Warranty may cover repairs within the following guidelines...

"Extended warranty coverage periods are available for certain vehicle parts and conditions. Specifically, (1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt),turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump; Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints. Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear),center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints." "

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-04 121901.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-04 121901.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
W

walker40425

Reaction score
Thank you for the warranty information/clarification.

What I am hoping for is some users that have experienced similar issues that have been resolved so I can have an idea of what the dealership should be looking for since it is apparent they are unaware.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
Have them take a look at the diff carrier bearings. My 19 has 48k miles and an unidentified noise the past three trips were finally confirmed last week. I’ve had a slight vibration in the accelerator pedal for over 8k miles but the past month it was progressively getting worse and light turns to the left would amplify it.

These are the pics the dealer sent me.
It should be done today. It’s been there a week.

Attachments

• IMG_7421.jpeg
    IMG_7421.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7422.jpeg
    IMG_7422.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7423.jpeg
    IMG_7423.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 24

bryz_expy

Reaction score
I’m not sure what part of the front diff they repaired or replaced. But sounds like they already rebuilt yours. Was it the spider gears or the carrier bearings. I’m hoping when I get mine back the noise is gone. Ugh. Sorry

OP
OP
W

walker40425

Reaction score
Unfortunately they did tear into the front end and replaced ring and pinion gears and "bearings." It is going back in on Wednesday, I will at least share your information. So frustrating.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
So I picked mine up yesterday and the differential work did resolve the noise and clunking I have had. While they had chassis ears on the front end, they also noticed or picked up noise in the front passenger wheel bearing. Replaced it as well.

One thing I didn’t mention was that in the previous trips when it went undiagnosed they kept suggesting other possible culprits. Sounds like tires and brake are okay on yours but I did end up putting new tires (due to a nail in the sidewall, and Discount swapping my Pirellis to Michelin’s due to tread warranty). The Michelins do ride much more quiet.

Another trip to the dealer also suggested rotors due to runout causing the noise. This to me wouldn’t be specific issue while turning and all of the time. I procrastinated swapping them. But the more I thought about it, it could be something felt at certain speeds if there was a runout out of spec. Neither replacement ended up resolving after putting new front rotors and pads on myself to prevent them from up selling me and ruling it out from their diagnosis.

I did have a slight pulsating feel at hwy speeds on the original rotors when initially pressing the pedal so it may have helped contribute to some of the front end noises, feel, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire