Hello and 200K Maintenance on '05 2WD EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just joined today and thought I'd share a success story with everyone. A few months back I replaced the VCT solenoids and got a significant improvement in performance but the engine "noise" was the same. As time progressed, I became convinced that I indeed had timing chain slap. After reviewing many threads here and videos on how to replace all the timing "set", I jumped right into the deep end:

198K miles
Replaced Timing chain, tensioners, guides, cam sprockets, crank gear and related gaskets
To test that it was all on correct and no hitting of piston to valves, I pulled the plugs and manually rotated the engine - yay, nothing hitting internally. Also made sense while torn down (and mileage) to replace plugs.
New oil pump (while I'm there) and water pump
I was expecting plastic guide pieces in the oil pan, so I had that gasket ready ... but what I found was plastic pieces in my pick up tube screen! I was driving a time bomb, am certainly blessed to have torn it down when I did.
All ford parts except a Melling oil pump - I wanted assurance of high flow and no back plate flexing.
My timing cover was ate up where 1 entire guide was "consumed" and I had metal shavings in the oil pan ... some of the engine noise was the chain playing pinball with plastic pieces of guide.

I have audio of the noise prior to repair, if interested, and a vid of some of the damage that I might could zip up.

All is well now, or better yet, it runs better than when I bought it with 44k miles. I am guess the newer engineering VCT solenoids and cam phasers/sprockets are the reason.

Next is some mods ... once my wallet recovers and the itch to turn a wrench returns.

Attachments

• 05 oil tube screen.jpg
    05 oil tube screen.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 64

Conrad

Reaction score
What special tools would you recommend for this job? Anything?

I have an '06 5.4 that seems to struggle with oil volume at start-up and high temp and I believe the noise (at start-up) is the oil pump getting up to pressure. The problem is minimized if the vehicle is parked nose down on a hill.

At high temp/load conditions, I get a similar noise at idle and it fires a code on cam position. Worst case the engine will not idle.

It otherwise runs fine and does not use oil (150K miles). Checking the dipstick, the oil does not look 'dirty' so I believe the base engine is okay.

So I think it needs a new pump and I'm willing to go the route on cam chains, tensioner, phasors, etc. I've done a lot of work on other Ford products and I think I can do this. My experience includes Focus engine swaps, chassis, and a lot of motorcycle repair. But I have not worked on any larger engines in 20+years.

So, I'd like to be prepared with any special tools before getting started and I welcome any advice on guides, manuals, videos to help.

Thanks in advance

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend then you buy a factory shop manual for it, either an electronic or hard copy. The electronic ones are cheaper, the hard copies will run you about 150 bucks on ebay.