How Do You Attach S-hook Straps to Roof Rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrlynn

Reaction score
We carry a canoe on our 2013 Expy. In the past I've used various ropes and straps. But I'd like to use ratchet straps. Problem is, they've all got S-hooks that won't fit around the big side bars of the roof OEM rack. I can just wrap the straps around the bars and the S-hook around the strap itself, which works, but I worry that it's really insecure.

I was thinking of large carabiner clips, but I can't find any with openings ('gates') that will admit the rack bars. So I'm wondering what the rest of you are doing, short of buying a different roof rack. Would a U-bolt work? They're just for hanging plumbing, so maybe not strong enough.

Suggestions welcome.

/LEJ

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tuck's method is probably the easiest and least cost unless you make your own loops from rope.

OP
OP
mrlynn

mrlynn

Reaction score
Thanks, Tuck! Just saw your response (didn't get a notice). I didn't know about those soft tie-down straps, but they should do the job just fine. Thanks again! /LEJ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65