how to paint a car!!! my ford ZX2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATES!!!how to paint a car!!! my ford ZX2

well i got a couple of people a that were interest in see and learning a little how to prep and paint a car, so i decided to show you how, i working on my 2001 ford zx2, i had the car painted by this guy that did a horrible job , so now im going to do it all over again. im going to try to do the whole car with a budget of $400 dollars, you may think thats a little but i have done it before. im going to do the whole car right and take off fenders, doors, wheather strips, moldings, windows, and ect. so that the car gets prep right.
leave comments or questions if you have any, dont mind answering any questions.

pics of the car before i got it painted lime green, by a horrible painter!!!:
l_b9a93d0b81d9779d1cb0fbfecb7aa460.jpg
[/IMG]
l_d4c3df717238d19d27970dd6cc152e68.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
before sanding downing always get a scuff pad and scuff the whole car down, helps take off grease or wax so that i wont stick to the sand paper. heres a pic of the ones i use, can get them at autozone or walmarts:
DSCI0285.jpg
[/IMG]

after scuffing the car down, i start with a 60 grits (the green sand paper in the pic) and start sanding down the car, always try and go one direction while sanding, dont sand in circles. sand up or down. after you sanded with the 60 grit change to the 120 grit its alot more finer and not as rough as the 60 grit.
DSCI0280.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
B

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well i decided to shave the door handles off today because i already had them taken off. so heres a couple of pics and how to.
DSCI0271-1.jpg
[/IMG]
well i start off taking the handles off.
DSCI0272-1.jpg
[/IMG]
then sand or grind around the edge where the handles goes, somthing like this:
DSCI0288.jpg
[/IMG]
then get a peice of sheet metal and cut out a templet to weld on to the door, where the door handle was at:
DSCI0273.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCI0275.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
B

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get your templet you cut out and put into place and put a piece of tape so that it can stay in place and dont move around:
DSCI0290.jpg
[/IMG]
once in place make sure you take you time to weld, just tack weld, cause if you weld alot your metal will begin to sag. the metal on car doors are really thin. you dont want to burn a hole through your door. so just take your time and let it cool down a bit everytime you tack weld:
DSCI0291.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCI0292.jpg
[/IMG]
once you finshed tack welding let it cool down for 5mins and get a air grinder, and grind down your weld so a smooth finish. i use these disc to grind down the welds:
DSCI0287.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
B

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
once you smoothed down all the nasty welds, get some bondo glass or bondo hair glass and put it on the part of the door where you welded at, and let dry for a hour or so (it might be a lil more wait depending on the weather outside to harden).
DSCI0252.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCI0261.jpg
[/IMG]
once dry begin to sand down with a orbit sander or you can also sand down by hand ( might take you a longass time tho). with a 80 grit sand paper. the bondo hair is rough and thick.
DSCI0296.jpg
[/IMG]

didnt get a chance to finish today but i will finish tommorro tho. just need a little more sanding and some bondo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69