Ford Expedition SSV Suspension and brakes difference? (2018 model)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nbacavs8

Reaction score
Hi,im having hard time finding any info on the expedition ssv and expedition max ssv, and if they have any suspension differences for these ssv version. Hoping to find out if anyone knows anything knows anything. I think I read somwhere that the older ssv expeditions that came with the 5.4 trition, had a a different suspension than the regualr old civilian mass market cars. But mine is one of the newer body style expedition ssv's. which are very uncommon to find infop on and even for sale. If you know any info on the suspensions specs and differences between like a regular xlt edpedition let me know. Or if you actually link an article from like ford a ford dealer, or other reliable source please do. It was really easy to find the suspension setup and specs for a police interceptor utility(explorer) and compare it to a civilian model. Or if you own a newer body stlyle expedition ssv/ expedition maxx ssv, like a 2018 model for example, let me know if you noticed a ride and handling difference. I owned a 2016 police intercptor utility explorer and test drivng an xlt explorer was night and day, the way the police interceptor stayed flat around corners and went over bumps(specifically railroad croossings) without bouncing all over the place was very noticable.The whole car would literally pow right over bumps where as the civilian cars would kind of wobble and try and absorb the bumps, and make the bumps seem more noticeable when just driving around. Im also looking into brakes, as most of y'all know the ssv vehicles are typically used as emegeny vehicles like fire and police vehicles, most police package vehicles usually have different(bigger) brakes. If you have info on the specs and setup for the brakes on the 2018 ssv's and if they're diffrent or not, please link or post the diffrences as well. I also noticed the diffrenences between my 2016 interceptor utility and test driving a regualr civilian model explorere when it came to braking just by test driving one. If these difference are noticable between the police version and non-police version of the explorers, I am wondering if the expedtionn ssvs are thr same way with noticable driving characteristic differences.They got a few 2018 Expeditions ssv's coming up for auction soon at my local auction, so im just wondering before I bid on one.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,im having hard time finding any info on the expedition ssv and expedition max ssv, and if they have any suspension differences for these ssv version. Hoping to find out if anyone knows anything knows anything. I think I read somwhere that the older ssv expeditions that came with the 5.4 trition, had a a different suspension than the regualr old civilian mass market cars. But mine is one of the newer body style expedition ssv's. which are very uncommon to find infop on and even for sale. If you know any info on the suspensions specs and differences between like a regular xlt edpedition let me know. Or if you actually link an article from like ford a ford dealer, or other reliable source please do. It was really easy to find the suspension setup and specs for a police interceptor utility(explorer) and compare it to a civilian model. Or if you own a newer body stlyle expedition ssv/ expedition maxx ssv, like a 2018 model for example, let me know if you noticed a ride and handling difference. I owned a 2016 police intercptor utility explorer and test drivng an xlt explorer was night and day, the way the police interceptor stayed flat around corners and went over bumps(specifically railroad croossings) without bouncing all over the place was very noticable.The whole car would literally pow right over bumps where as the civilian cars would kind of wobble and try and absorb the bumps, and make the bumps seem more noticeable when just driving around. Im also looking into brakes, as most of y'all know the ssv vehicles are typically used as emegeny vehicles like fire and police vehicles, most police package vehicles usually have different(bigger) brakes. If you have info on the specs and setup for the brakes on the 2018 ssv's and if they're diffrent or not, please link or post the diffrences as well. I also noticed the diffrenences between my 2016 interceptor utility and test driving a regualr civilian model explorere when it came to braking just by test driving one. If these difference are noticable between the police version and non-police version of the explorers, I am wondering if the expedtionn ssvs are thr same way with noticable driving characteristic differences.They got a few 2018 Expeditions ssv's coming up for auction soon at my local auction, so im just wondering before I bid on one.

Can’t answer your question - but paragraph breaks would be your friend.

VCFP153

Reaction score
Hi,im having hard time finding any info on the expedition ssv and expedition max ssv, and if they have any suspension differences for these ssv version. Hoping to find out if anyone knows anything knows anything. I think I read somwhere that the older ssv expeditions that came with the 5.4 trition, had a a different suspension than the regualr old civilian mass market cars. But mine is one of the newer body style expedition ssv's. which are very uncommon to find infop on and even for sale. If you know any info on the suspensions specs and differences between like a regular xlt edpedition let me know. Or if you actually link an article from like ford a ford dealer, or other reliable source please do. It was really easy to find the suspension setup and specs for a police interceptor utility(explorer)....

Glad to see another SSV owner, I have a 2024 Max SSV, and you ask a very good question. The answer is there are no mechanical differences between the SSV and a non-SSV XL (100A or 101A) package or the XLT. In fact, the only "mechanical difference" (such as it is) is the column shifter and the lack of a push-button start. Keep in mind the SSV is not a "police" vehicle, so it's not really a "performance" model unlike the PIU and the like. This is also why the SSV is not "government-only", since it's aimed not only at public safety agencies, but also at such entities as utility companies, survey crews, oil companies, agriculture, park services etc. Good thing, too, because that's why they can be sold new to individuals without too much wrangling.

All that said, there are various mods available out there, same as for XLTs etc.

Attachments

• 20240227_155237.jpg
    20240227_155237.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 5

VCFP153

Reaction score
Let me amend that post slightly. The SSV also includes Control Trac with the 3.73ELSD and a 2spd transfer case as standard as opposed to those features being optional on other series and packages.