How to replace (repair) rear wiper motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2010 expy

So.... I had the usual rear wiper freeze up problem. I replaced the rear wiper "transmission". It now works better. BUT, the wiper doe no always travel the right distance (degrees), sometimes going to far and hitting the paint. I think I need to replace the rear wiper motor (probably damage from a long time of being jammed).

Does anyone have a link to a how to? I have tried googling and failed. :(

I'd like to have a clue what I am getting in to before I order the new motor.

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
I replaced the rear wiper motor on my '08 because of a parastic draw and it didn't help anything. I'm betting your problem is in the liftglass or where the wiper arm attaches.

Anyway. Open the liftglass and liftgate. Remove the upper plastic from the interior of the liftgate. I don't remember any screws holding that but look in case my memory fails me. Pull the interior plastic straight away from the liftgate and watch for any clips that fall on the ground. You may be able to find and reuse them. Most should stay with the plastic.
Next is the plastic on the inside of the lower liftgate. There are two screws at the top where you can't see them with the liftglass closed. There are two more near the bottom of the liftgate. There may be more that I forget. Clips go in the same direction so with the liftgate open you will be pulling down.
Now close the liftgate and leave the liftglass open. Lean in and remove the screws holding the motor, I remember 3 of them, and unplug the wires.
You can leave the interior trim plastic pieces off while you close the liftglass, see that the wiper is in the same position as it was with the old wiper motor, and say some four letter words.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found the problem and it was not the motor! I replaced the through-glass gearbox and it looks like the pin that goes in to the disk on the motor assembly came loose. It's just pressed in. I guess I knocked it out somehow, but it was wobbling like crazy. So I pressed it back in and so far so good.