max tire size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

camoford4x4

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies! i dont want to go any wider and i want to keep the same wheels, i want to stick with nitto terra grapplers as well, i just want to have "taller" tires, but i dont want to damage either the wheel wells or the tires. i may add another 2 inches of lift, but it wont be any time soon, maybe a couple years down the road. but with the lift, and gears, and everything the same as now, i want to know how big i can go, as i said i currently have 285/ 60r/ 18. thanks for the help!

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
then your choices are made easy.

1. get a 285/65/18
2. get a 285/70/18

both will give you a little more height, both will throw your speedometer off a little bit (I think it will read slower than your actual speed.)

there's easy ways to calculate your speed. you can use miles markers on the Highway, drive at 60mph for 60 seconds, if its more than 60 seconds between mile markers the difference is the speedometer error

it will also cause the odometer to read less miles than are actually on the car, remember larger tires means more revolutions per mile which the car does not take into account unless you have a programmer that will allow you to compensate for larger wheels/tires etc

If you know the revolutions per mile for the original tires and the larger tires, you could calculate the speed difference. (i don't have that formula handy sorry, it's late.)

but just as an easy math guide let's say your new tires are only 10% larger than your old ones, then your speeds are as follows;

40mph on the gauge is actually 44mph
60=66
100=110

Last edited:

Jghagler

Reaction score
I've got a 2001 Expedition eddie bauer 2wd. Was thinking about putting a 3" or 4" coil spring spacers on for a lift. What do yall think? I'd prolly go up to running 33's. Would that work out fine? I know it's not a 4x4 but I'm going for looks really.

diablood5

Reaction score
i have a 2000 4x4 exp with torsion cranked , rear spring spacers and 3in body and i running 35/12.50/17 with no prob

BEAR5oh

Reaction score
Has anyone slapped on a set of stock/take off Raptor wheels n tires? Love to know how they look and fit.

B.

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone slapped on a set of stock/take off Raptor wheels n tires? Love to know how they look and fit.

B.

Which year? There's a couple of pics floating around google of a 2nd and 3rd gen Expo with Raptor tires and wheels.