Missing all the sudden after two days of hard rain?? PLEASE HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blbikerood

Reaction score
My 98 expedition with the 5.4 has been doing great. Now I just bought it about 2 months ago. It started missing right after I got it home that first week, then quit and hasn't missed a beat since. Now it is barely running and threw a check engine code 2nite. The only thing that has changed is the fact that we had hard rains, is is possible the coil packs draw some moisture and cause this issue like they used to on an old 95 camaro i had??? I plan to get the code checked tommorow when everyone is open, but for once in a long time, i reallly need the truck tommorow to make a 200 mile roundtrip.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because of the hard rains, it is possible one (or more) of the COPs got moisture in it. Hopefully the code lets you know specifically which one, so you can make your trip tomorrow :)

OP
OP
B

blbikerood

Reaction score
also got to thinking....

It was super low on gas, needle on red, put about 10 bucks in, not long after is when this started. Possible I either got bad gas or fuel filter is messed up?? Any opinions??

OP
OP
B

blbikerood

Reaction score
problem solved...

Thought I would post for all to see. It was a misfire on cyl. 4. turned out that the coil on 4 was missing its bolt. Therefore rain setup moisture. My mechanic replaced bolt and spark plug for the hell of it, for only 30bucks! Runs better and smoother than ever.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, though I had posted a reply to your other post. I was going to suggest changing out the fuel filter, but it seems you have resolved the problem. Either way, might be a good idea if it hasn't been done in 20-25k miles.

03blkstanggt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my truck has this same problem but i cant seem to keep the code on long enough to get to the dealership. i drive about half way there and the code goes out. then the dealership tells me theres nothing they can do. this has happened 4 times now and i still cant figure it out. ive checked all my cop, they all seem fine. only thing i have bad is an annoying exhaust leak i cant find.

jon65

Reaction score
I have an 04 5.4l with similar problem. A year ago I began to have missing after heavy rains. I was "fortunate" enough to actually have an error code and found it was the COP on the third cylinder from the front of the vehicle on the driver's side. Replaced the COP and was good to go. I have had off and on missing again over the past two months. Tonight I changed the plugs. Except for this particular plug. I pulled out the COP and found their was rust formed in the cylinder that the plug goes in. I could not get the plug out easily, or with difficulty, and was concerned it would break so I stopped. I did replace the boot, which had rust on it and moisture on the outside and found the spring on the inside also had some rust. The truck ran fine on the way home. What I can't figure out is how did the moisture get in there. Even if the first COP had leaked moisture, I had replaced it.

Jon

ET2 Burris

Reaction score
my truck has this same problem but i cant seem to keep the code on long enough to get to the dealership. i drive about half way there and the code goes out. then the dealership tells me theres nothing they can do. this has happened 4 times now and i still cant figure it out. ive checked all my cop, they all seem fine. only thing i have bad is an annoying exhaust leak i cant find.

I don't see hbw tey can't see that. I have an Android and use scantool tool with bluetooth. I use Torque the app. and I see all the stuff that has happened unless I use the clear option. I have the clogged EGR valve so i cleard that and with in mins. it shows as pending or something like that.

sngltrck1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A problem many older expy's had was a leaky stock windshield.

Rain could get through near the firewall and mess up important electrical / computer items.

Mine needed the GEM replaced, i believe.

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go to the site in my sig. all the guys that know the answers left this site and now are on that one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire