My new 2018 Expedition AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

ennui

Reaction score
The car is at the dealership since the last Tuesday.
They concluded it is qualified for the contaminated refrigeration system and whole system needs to be cleaned/replaced.
The special equipment will come soon, but the parts may be delayed. It looks like that a lot of parts need to be replaced due to the contamination.
I will check with them again tomorrow afternoon.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I were you (but I'm not), I'd be insisting on a buy-back. You have no guarantee that, after having "some" of the parts replaced and the system purged that there won't be residual refrigerant contamination that can cause critical failures sometime in the future. If keeping the vehicle was your only option, the only thing I'd settle for would be that Ford warranty the repaired AC system for as long as you own the vehicle, and I doubt they will be offering to do that. So what is the advantage to you to let them try this fix? And further complicating things is that these repairs will be performed in a dealership service department by a technician who has never dealt with this particular issue nor previously used the specialized equipment.

On top of seeking a buy-back either by the state Lemon Laws or by initiating the arbitration process if that is required in your state...as a final ploy, perhaps mentioning going to the local TV station's consumer affairs reporter, which might spur better actions. They are real good at getting companies to give a "second look" and reverse their previous stance.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have no guarantee that, after having "some" of the parts replaced and the system purged that there won't be residual refrigerant contamination that can cause critical failures sometime in the future.

Just curious as you mention "some". I've glanced across the recall procedure linked below. I'm not a 2018 owner so didn't study it line by line. But it seemed pretty comprehensive to me given my basic HVAC knowledge.

So, I ask, what components that would have residual/contamination aren't getting replaced?

Here is what I read:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/Recall/18N01/R18N013.pdf

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a very comprehensive procedure--IF it is followed. And even if it were promised to be done by-the-book, I wouldn't want to subject my brand new vehicle to such a comprehensive repair...unless it were 100% caused by me, i.e. adding a miracle refrigerant additive or crashing it. Add up the inconvenience, the cost of repairs, and paying for yours while driving a basic loaner vehicle...not a win-win proposition. The option to buy it back ought to be made to any owner so affected.

OP
OP
E

ennui

Reaction score
At this stage, though I would prefer, it might be very difficult to get buy-back. To qualify the lemon-law, I need 30 days out-of-service in TX. I have to hope the best. I did file the complain to Ford. I just wonder whether the dealer who sold me the car knows the issue. According the Ford's representative, a program called 18N01 is the recall for this issue. However, I could not find it on Ford's website by searching my VIN.

This is my Fifth Ford. I would think twice for my sixth car.

OP
OP
E

ennui

Reaction score
Dealer says it will take about a week for repair. It is a "big big job".

OP
OP
E

ennui

Reaction score
Got the car back from dealer. Repaired.
32F outside

Ford denied buyback

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the car back from dealer. Repaired.
32F outside

Ford denied buyback
That may not be carved in stone. Would you be willing to contact your local TV station consumer affairs reporter? I've seen dozens of cases where people (with less significant issues) were denied relief at first but then, facing TV exposure, the entity suddenly found a reason to give it a "second look."

Dormammu

Reaction score
Sry to see you go, wat did u replace it with.

We replaced it with 2 vehicles! We bought a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL and a minivan. I have not regretted it for a moment. The minivan does everything the Expy did (for us!) only easier to drive and more economical. The Rubicon is just a kick and fun all day long.

So far we've had zero issues with the Wrangler and 1 minor issue with the van.