Need help & ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldFordsRule

Reaction score
I ahve a '97 4x4 with a 5.4, trans cooler/tow package etc. Its overheating before I can make it around the block. Oil blows out thru the radiator & when I pulled the thermostat out it was fouled with a mix of oil & coolent. The radiator shop I went to 1st said it was the trans cooler then said its a blown head gasket. I don't have the @ $2000 that is the best price for changing it & its more than intemidating looking at what all I'd need to pull just to get to the heads. Could it be anything else or are there other options? I want to keep it, I love it. Its the early 1st year model & that makes it special to me. The start of a good thing & all. What can I do?

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil in water with no overheating might be a bad radiator. Oil in water with engine overheating probably is a bad head gasket. Is there also water in the oil?

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil in the coolant = blown head gasket

Coolant in the oil = blown head gasket

If its blowing oil out of the radiator then the head gasket it blown so bad its pressurizing the cooling system. Had that happen on a Mustang once and it blew the inlet on radiator apart. You can change the head gaskets, but it might be more cost effective and less headache to just replace the motor.