Need help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could just be that the different conditions (the conditions here being the wiring on cylinder 1 as opposed to 6) allow the COP to fire efficiently once again. Still I think that it is on its way out. I would not worry about testing the injectors until you get the new COP's and plugs in. Take it one step at a time. I have driven my truck on a full misfire condition for a month before and she still runs pretty good.

As far as your alignment, replacing the rear control arms should not change that at all. The solid axles in these do not have any adjustments. If you did front upper ball joints or tie rod ends, then you would need one. It would not hurt to align it after the lift as you said as well. Your shutter is more likely a tire that is in need of re-balancing. I just had one of mine re-balanced for about 15 bucks at Firestone, so it wouldn't be too expensive to do all 4 of yours and see if that helps at all.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If it happened after you washed motor its doubtful its an injector.

I believe BigJuicy02 just picked random cylinders to verify if the misfire follows the cop. I would pick 1 or 2 myself as they are the most accessible with my setup.

The pcm can pick up a shorted or open cop. That is a hard failure. Misfire..... sometimes but not necessarily. Most of the time when you get water in the plug wells it gives the coil an alternative path to fire to ground when it does much better for combustion when it is across the spark plug gap for obvious reasons. As far as the pcm is concerned the cop fired.

If the problem mysteriously disappears its likely the moisture has evaporated to a level it no longer misfires.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom is right, I missed that you had this pop up after washing down the motor. More than likely it was moisture in the wells as was said.

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys are great well I drove it to the doc tonight and it seemed okay... just some bucking and jiving over 2k rpms at high speed... no codes no SES light... maybe the cops are on the way out. I will have the tires (new came balanced with rims about 3k on them) balanced when I do the alignment after the lift... any more ideas???

BTW you guys have been great I have so many parts that if you need them let me know they are free to you if you pay shipping.

All four calipers bought new because I did not want to clean to paint (lazy) 70 K on them
Rear lights all three
Front lights all 4
Rusty track bar
Rusty sway bar but not bad
4 tires with rims and the center caps
lugs
honeycomb grille insert no Logo I am keeping that
molding for the sides eddie bauer tan 8 pieces...

Let me know

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
actually it is more like 10 pieces...

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will post it up as soon as I figure out how to post damn picture... a step by step would be great

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok well I got all new coil packs and plugs and am ready to give it a go... I have zero codes.. passed emissions test today... but I am still getting a shutter over 2k RPMS and between gear shift.. seems like a misfire... I am serious about the parts though and any more suggestions would be appreciated. I am going to get the new tires balanced again and alignment after the lift but I really think this is a COP or fuel injector problem... very weird that there are no codes anymore but still get that shutter after moving 6 to 1???? ugh I love.. err hate this

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You ever see the lights on the front of an expedition... imagine that but in NJ. The tires are shit but the rims are the OEM style... I will post a pic if I can figure out how to do it along with other parts. If you can help me change the plugs in coil backs I will give you some oem running boards too with the lights.... oh BTW guys I have some OEM running boards too... actually two sets of them ... the free ones have a little damage ... if you help me with the plugs and coils you can have the ones that look great and I paid 100 for at the junk yard