OEM/Thule Cargo Box's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cooldude919

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten either the "medium" or "extra large" Thule boxes through ford? The prices dont seem bad when going through one of the volume ford sellers, or getting your local dealer to match. $436 for the large, and i would need the ~$120 cross bars.

I measured, and 84" seems snug to still allow the rear hatch to open, along with not sticking over the front to avoid extra wind noise/etc.

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-luggage-rack-10864.html

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-luggage-rack-10867.html

We would use this only once or twice a year for long family trips, and the OEM ones (with discounts) seem cheaper than comparable ones such as FORCE XT from amazon.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thule, Yakima, SportRack boxes are all over Craigslist and FB marketplace.
I got my SportRack (Thule’s Economy line) brand new off Craigslist for $75 like 8 years ago and is still going strong.
Granted they are worth every last cent they charge new there is no reason to pay it.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not put the cargo box in the receiver hitch? That way its bigger, not sucking wind and hurting MPG, easy to get into without breaking your neck climbing onto the roof, and listening to all that wind noise. This can also be mounted into all your other cars with a 2" receiver hitch. I bought the swing away model and absolutely LOVE it. The Kida can access it themselves to get things and so can my wife. On long trips we just throw beach toys or whatever in it and its great. 2 people can sit inside it, its huge! :).

https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not put the cargo box in the receiver hitch? That way its bigger, not sucking wind and hurting MPG, easy to get into without breaking your neck climbing onto the roof, and listening to all that wind noise. This can also be mounted into all your other cars with a 2" receiver hitch. I bought the swing away model and absolutely LOVE it. The Kida can access it themselves to get things and so can my wife. On long trips we just throw beach toys or whatever in it and its great. 2 people can sit inside it, its huge! :).

We also have the stowaway2. With the pop-up glass on the Expedition liftgate, it's easy to grab items in a hurry if you don't want to swing the stowaway2 out of the way. I also like that I can park the Expedition in our garage with it mounted. Roof boxes won't work with a typical 7' garage door. We also have the panoramic sunroof, so our roofrack is limited to 125# (including the weight of the box). The stowaway 2 is rated for 200# of gear in the box, which is way more robust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cooldude919

Reaction score
We also have the stowaway2. With the pop-up glass on the Expedition liftgate, it's easy to grab items in a hurry if you don't want to swing the stowaway2 out of the way. I also like that I can park the Expedition in our garage with it mounted. Roof boxes won't work with a typical 7' garage door. We also have the panoramic sunroof, so our roofrack is limited to 125# (including the weight of the box). The stowaway 2 is rated for 200# of gear in the box, which is way more robust.
Dang, those do look pretty cool. Can i ask a few questions?

Obviously you lose backup cam?
Does it block brake lights, do you hook up or use the lights on the unit?

This does look like a good option.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought mine with the LED light upgrade, as they come with taillights and you just plug it into your trailer plug in. Theres also a license plate mount on the rear, I swap my plate, so I don't get hassled. I would NEVER run a rear item with no additional lights. I'm not nervous, but there's no reason to expose my family to unneccesary accidents because someone didn't see my taillight or turn signal....

I absolutely love this rear box. Its built very very solid and has a great locking mechanism and is gasketed and really seals up well. I've had well over 200 lbs in it and hauled it cross country. I didn't even know it was back there until I stopped as its inside the body margins and doesn't show up in the mirrors.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the hitch mount because I can throw it on my wifes Flex, my truck, etc..... It literally fits anything with a hitch.
It swings open, so you can open the rear hatch too...

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 for the hitch alternative.

Option C might be to do what I've done a few times. Since the wife and daughter pack 6 weeks months worth of stuff for a 1 week trip, knowing they'll shop while on the trip, I've had to FedEx / UPS boxes of crap home. Including boots, jackets, and sweatshirts, from Florida. In July.

FedEx Freight has a flat rate box that will hold a ton of stuff. If you are a business owner with an account or can use your employers, the rates are even more attractive. Delivery & hold at the FedEx dock is even better.

Not having to unload a roof or bumper nightly at hotels is worth it to me. Theft is always another concern.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score

None of these things are an issue with a properly place rooftop box.
I have no added wind noise or loss of mpg.
I just stand on the rear wheel to get stuff in and out.
Plus I need the hitch for these.
BF052127-2231-4879-898B-BE2454ABD842.jpeg