Original brake pads & rotors, @ what mileage did you replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpc11

Reaction score
Driving in this morning I heard a slight whirring type noise from driver side front. It wasn’t a metallically type sound or squeal (like a wear indicator, if the expy even has them,) but more like something was slightly hung up and dragging. Mostly only heard at slower speed, but at cold start and later in drive, and doesn’t change with turning. Looking through the wheel, pads look ok, but will pull the wheel and inspect tonight. Don’t see any obvious grooves in rotor.

As I sit here at work wondering if it’s actually time for pads to be replaced, or if it’s another issue like something is hung up or bearing starting to go bad, I’m curious at what mileage others have needed to replace the original stock pads and rotors? And was that front, rear or both.

Thanks!

OP
OP
M

mpc11

Reaction score
With about 34k miles, pads are still good. After pulling the wheel and rotating hub by hand, something seems to drag or rub in the inner cv joint housing for about half the rotation. Just sounds constant even at idle speed.

Going in next week for a laundry list of things before factory warranty is up, so we’ll see if this is covered...

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My rears were replaced at 117,000 kms. My fronts have not been replaced, although I believe they will likely get some attention at during the next service visit. I'm now at 122,000 kms.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear replaced around 50k, original fronts needing to be replaced soon. Right at 80k currently.

2018 Expy Max HD tow 4WD

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow front pads and rotors lasting 80k for you!? that’s impressive, you must actually know how to drive / use the brakes properly!

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow front pads and rotors lasting 80k for you!? that’s impressive, you must actually know how to drive / use the brakes properly!

lots of extended driving. I’d have well over 125-130k but I bought my Hybrid in 2019. It’s up to 52k

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With about 34k miles, pads are still good. After pulling the wheel and rotating hub by hand, something seems to drag or rub in the inner cv joint housing for about half the rotation. Just sounds constant even at idle speed.

Going in next week for a laundry list of things before factory warranty is up, so we’ll see if this is covered...

if you have 4wd, this could be the vacuum actuated hub not fully disengaged due to a faulty check valve.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear pads replaced at 40k miles. Apparently using the adaptive cruise control, the rears wear out much sooner. Maybe the adaptive cruise control pushes the rears harder? Tough to say.
Still good on the fronts at 49k miles now. Will probably have to replace them around 55k at current rate.

OP
OP
M

mpc11

Reaction score
if you have 4wd, this could be the vacuum actuated hub not fully disengaged due to a faulty check valve.

Thanks for the heads up. I do have 4wd. It’s an ‘18 limited with hd tow. The drag consistently starts and stops at the same point in the rotation.