power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warddaman

Reaction score
I replaced the return hose on the my 2000 5.4 engine and refilled the fluid. I drove it down the street to get the fluid to flow through. All the sudden the wheel went from stiff to normal but it started to make a whinning sound. Turn it off and filled the fluid back up and now its still making the whinning sound and the steering wheel is loose. Did I blow the pump or is it air bubbles? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

Ryan

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Did you turn steering wheel lock to lock several times to bleed system of air?

You also need to make sure it is filled to proper level. Do not overfill.

Last edited:

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I did the all the lines in my explorer I was told to cycle lock to lock 40 times before starting the motor. This bleeds air out of the system. I replaced the lines on the rack as well so it was pretty empty. As I understand it the Ford pumps do not deal with air and it can ruin them. That's what I did and it worked out for me. You very well may have pump issues.... but it's hard to say. Maybe a pro will chime in.

OP
OP
W

warddaman

Reaction score
Well I had to travel to Balimore on Monday and when I got back that night I started up the Expy and the noise was gone. I drove it around and still no noise and the fluid level was still good. Drove it again last night, had no problems and fluid level was still good. I did see where their was still fluid leaking and I dont know if that was from the original problem so I took it to the wash last night and sprayed the undercarriage. Going to check again tonight to see if their is any more leaks. Thanks for your help and posts. I think/hope it was just air in the lines.