Pulls to the right in 4A/4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skud

Reaction score
I’ve noticed this a few times now…

When in 4WD or 4A (Sport mode) and I accelerate quickly, the vehicle will pull to the right. The first time I noticed it I floored it in sport mode on the freeway and it pulled to the right hard enough that I caught me off guard a bit and I quickly corrected.

Is this normal on these expeditions?

Thanks!!
Riley

OP
OP
S

Skud

Reaction score
I have not experienced what you are reporting. Does it do this when in 2wd?
Drives straight in 2wd. Also drives straight in 4wd when just driving around normally. Only when accelerating hard in 4A or 4 Hi does it pull to the right.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the transfer case clutches are slipping and not fully locking up for one side. I’ve experienced this same issue in a company owned 2019 ford explorer sport, while on travel for work. It’s truly terrifying if you’re not expecting it and you’re pulling out to pass on a two lane road.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Transfer case slippage wouldn't affect only one side though. I'd suspect one of the Integrated Wheel Hub thingies is not engaging. Probably the right side if it's pulling to the right. You'd get power on the left front wheel only which would introduce turning force.

Beachums

Reaction score
I have had the same thing in my 04. Though I haven't notice it happen in my '22 SPP. I chalked it up to the asymmetry in the front driveline. It only does it under hard acceleration which I assumed the tires are on the ragged edge of traction, but not enough to engage the traction control/advance trac.

It's almost like torque steer in front wheel drive cars.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were me I would have it checked out.... like others said I bet one sides hub is not engaging/locking (or whatever the proper term is )

OP
OP
S

Skud

Reaction score
It's almost like torque steer in front wheel drive cars.
This is exactly what is reminds me of/feels like - only worse. I'll get it checked out.

I wonder if this is maybe the source of the howling/whine I've been hearing. I have another thread I started about a week ago and most people seem to think it's normal, but it just seems to be too loud of a noise to be normal.

Dan Johnson

Reaction score
How timely - I noticed this same thing on my 2020 Expy today. And it does - it feels like that front-wheel drive torque. But only in 4A. I tried it with and without Sport Mode and it happened on both. I was attributing it to my recent addition of a K&N Cold Air Intake, because the whole rig is even torquier (is that a word?) than before. In Sport Mode, from a dead stop, I literally thought the front tires were going to come off the ground!