rapid clicking at fuse box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer6306

Reaction score
Good evening Everyone, I have a 2003 ford expedition 5.4lL vehicle. This vehicle is doing something very strange. This vehicle will not start or crank. The key fob will unlock the driver side door but it will not lock via the key fob. The dome lights that normally come on are seem under powered and there is this clicking noise coming from the fuse box area. When i try to start the car none of the instrument panel lights come on and there is a very rapid clicking sound again coming from the fuse area when i try to start the car. So no lights at instrument cluster, the dome lights come on when door is opened but are way under powered and there is a clicking sound for as long as the dome lights are on. When i try to turn the ignition even just to the on position i have no instrument panel lights or any sound other than a very rapid clicking sound at the fuse box.

I've taken my battery to autozone once for testing and it tested fine. i took it back a few days later and asked for it to be recharged by someone different as i went when store first opened. Returned an hour later to pick up battery and reinstalled battery and the same thing happened. i know it's not the battery but now i'm thinking it might be a fuse or relay. Any thoughts or ideas you can offer would be very helpful.

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
The clicking should be an automatic reset circuit breaker. You should be able to find out which one by feel. Pull it out and tell us what position it was in and what changes in how the vehicle starts or doesn't.

OP
OP
H

Hammer6306

Reaction score
Thanks for that information i will try that here in the next 20 minutes and will report back.

OP
OP
H

Hammer6306

Reaction score
I wasn't successful feeling which circuit breaker is clicking when I initially open the door, however, I can feel that relay number 1 is the one that's clicking rapidly when I try to turn the car over at the ignition.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you the original owner ? How many miles on it ? Usually in an '03-'04 Expedition, clicking and no crank/start is a sign of a fried fuel pump relay and/or PCM relay. Either way, you'll probably end up replacing the fusebox or, if you're good at soldering, you can add a standard relay to replace the factory micro relay at the fuel pump circuit there in the fusebox. There are dozens of threads on fusebox replacement on this forum.

OP
OP
H

Hammer6306

Reaction score
I am the original owner and the car was bought in 2003 with 4 miles on it and it has about 207,000 miles on the vehicle now.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am the original owner and the car was bought in 2003 with 4 miles on it and it has about 207,000 miles on the vehicle now.

Yeah, I'm surprised you haven't already had this issue much earlier. I assume it is the original fusebox then ?