Rear Hatch Opening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hillsborough NC

Reaction score
My 2018 expedition hatch randomly opens too. It has happened several times and is not a controller issue (accidental pressing) nor something blocking hatch. Often it occurs when walking past the tailgate
It has closed on us when unloading groceries and recently opened when my wife drove to mailbox.
She didn’t realize it had opened and drove into our garage with tailgate wide open- not pretty
I also have my side view mirrors “click” or Pop” when using the presets. They get stuck and I have to manually adjust
Has this happened to anyone else?

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TSB 19-2162 addresses this issue. New switch assembly gets installed and ground wire gets relocated.

I really loved the liftgate just randomly opening when getting gas, etc... especially when I would have my two dogs in the back. Freedom! : /

Have not had the liftgate do such since getting above done.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 expedition hatch randomly opens too. It has happened several times and is not a controller issue (accidental pressing) nor something blocking hatch. Often it occurs when walking past the tailgate
It has closed on us when unloading groceries and recently opened when my wife drove to mailbox.
She didn’t realize it had opened and drove into our garage with tailgate wide open- not pretty
I also have my side view mirrors “click” or Pop” when using the presets. They get stuck and I have to manually adjust
SSM 47835 fixes the mirror freak out. Just expect to set back up all memory mirror presets from scratch, auto fold setting and power window auto one touch up.

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me it was my cargo mat, if it’s a little off it’ll trigger me hatch. So lame.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is at the dealer now for this issue. I know they are replacing the dash switch and some wiring. I am not sure what else.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TSB 19-2162 addresses this issue. New switch assembly gets installed and ground wire gets relocated.

How do you find the contents of that TSB? Google doesn't seem to bring up the official TSB.

Wnomis

Reaction score

Yes to all, I think I will get the mirror pop issue resolved when they are replacing all four shocks that are leaking. The walking past thing happens with a key in the pocket but never without. When hooking up a trailer I have to remember to take the key out so it doesn’t smash into the power tongue jack while getting it plugged in and safety chains on. The worst part is I can rarely get the darn foot thing to work when I want it to.... I can’t say it “randomly” opens yet.... I have always been able to place why it opens when I do t want it to. Definitely sounds like some of these hatches are possessed.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How do you find the contents of that TSB? Google doesn't seem to bring up the official TSB.
I don't have the PDF for the TSB, but can post the service repair form from when the work was done.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes to all, I think I will get the mirror pop issue resolved when they are replacing all four shocks that are leaking. The walking past thing happens with a key in the pocket but never without. When hooking up a trailer I have to remember to take the key out so it doesn’t smash into the power tongue jack while getting it plugged in and safety chains on. The worst part is I can rarely get the darn foot thing to work when I want it to.... I can’t say it “randomly” opens yet.... I have always been able to place why it opens when I do t want it to. Definitely sounds like some of these hatches are possessed.
Walking past the truck with the key in your pocket qualifies as random to me as it will do it sometime and not others and it isn't supposed to do such from just walking past it.

I gave the truck a pass when it would do such from connecting the trailer and chains as I could understand that maybe I was triggering such.

Either way the update listed above addresses the issue and the tailgate no longer opens except when intentionally using the foot kick motion to the left of the hitch.

John I

Reaction score

I really loved the liftgate just randomly opening when getting gas, etc... especially when I would have my two dogs in the back. Freedom! : /

Have not had the liftgate do such since getting above done.

Thanks for this information. I thought I was losing it this morning when I came out of the gym to find the liftgate open. (all doors still locked)
I had actually been considering using the keypad to lock and unlock the vehicle so I could leave the Intelligent Access Key in the car while working out. I can't do that if I can't ensure the liftgate will remain closed.