Replace 2 or 4 tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nvsteve

Reaction score
2011 awd limited. Front tires are down to 4/32 almost to tread wear bars. Rears are at 9/32 remaining. All 4 are michelin defender ltx. Not sure why since I've only owned it a few months and it was like this when I bought it.
So the tire shops are saying that I should replace all 4 since there's a risk of damage to the awd system if there's a difference in the tires diameter. I really want to replace just the fronts with the same brand since the rears aren't showing much wear. Where I live, near Reno, I am using 2wd 95% of the time. Only on rare occasion in the winter would I need to switch to awd. So any opinions about this? Two new michelins are $585 vs. 4 new bridgestone alenza plus at $770 out the door at Costco. Just seems like a shame to throw away 2 very good michelins.
Excuse the lengthy explanation and thanks in advance.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tire store's job is to sell tires. If the rears are still good, just replace the fronts (with the same matching tires). The very very minor difference in diameter is not going to negatively affect your four wheel drive system.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the rears are still good, just replace the fronts
@Nvsteve
What @bloodhound said but i would rotate rear to front and put new defenders on back. then when the 9/32's go down, put new defenders on front.

Don't forget your alignment. (I would get an all wheel alignment both times I put new tires on)

That being said, I change my tires 4 at a time.

Welcome to the forum

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Ever ask a barber if you need a haircut?

A tire with 9/32 tread is nearly new. Just replace the fronts. And find a tire store that doesn't lie to you.

If tyou're talked into dumping those two good Michelins, send them to me. I'll pay the postage and you woun't have to pay the tire store's "disposal fee". And I'll buy you a nice lunch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nvsteve

Nvsteve

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. You all confirmed my thinking, always good to hear knowledge before deciding. Going with the 2 michelins, will move rears to front .
Thanks again.
BTW, wife and I love our limited so far. I'm coming from a 99 yukon denali so loving the new technology in the expedition. It's got 172k on the clock but got it from the original owner and it shows good care. We occasionally tow a 4500# ski boat and it handles it quite well.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would look at the tire manufacture date and if they're over 3 years old replace all 4. That way your good to go for the next 5 years/50,000 miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev