My 4 year, 28k review on 2019 Expedition Max Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TLDR- So far this is the best vehicle I’ve ever had. It is just so capable. I’ve definitely had things that were better at certain things, but all around this wins hands down. Mine has the Special Edition package, so I have HD trailer tow, LEDs, and CCD on the 22s with wheels like in the Stealths. It’s a 2wd and it handles the Ohio valley winters of Cincinnati/NKY just fine. It pulls a huge 32 foot travel trailer with ease, I use a Blue Ox hitch for that. That’s the least you’d want to know if considering one. If you want the nitty gritty read on.

I’ve had 25+ different personal vehicles, plus countless I’ve been involved with growing up in a construction family. I’ve been into restoring and driving classics for almost thirty years. I also worked at an auto plant in shipping and post production. This vehicle flat out gets it all done and doesn’t cause me any grief. I haul three kids and associated gear around all the time.

Decided to post after ten days driving around in a rented 24 Tahoe 4x4 that had 900 miles on the clock on vacation. I had tried a 20 suburban when I bought this and wasn’t impressed. Four years later, I felt like it wasn’t much better. I instantly missed the Expedition, the refinements are just so much better on it. I felt like the ride on the Michelins the Chevy had wasn’t any better than the 20 expedition max 4x4 I test drove with a standard suspension. I know a lot of guys complain about the ride, I don’t find standard or ccd to be a problem, but I will tell you the Chevy isn’t going to do better, at least not without their magna ride thingy that I’m sure the LT I drove didn’t have. In the plus side, they have the trans running much cooler, like 150 versus 205.

The Chevy makes plenty of clatter, guys that are worried about the Ecoboost being loud at idle won’t find relief there. Also the Chevy had a loud, droning exhaust that even my 9 year old noticed right away and commented on. I didn’t think it felt like it had more power than the Ford, maybe a bit less even.

I’m running a dry media filter from I believe AER. It’s not done anything special, other than I can hear the turbos better. My only other mod has been a JLT catch can. I think that made a difference since it went on at 10k miles. It’s caught quite a bit of oil.

I use the dealer for factory fill syn blend oil. I run 93 octane most all year, save for a few tanks of 87 in the coldest of winter. I typically run Costco or Shell, but do use some Kroger crap when it gets me a dollar off on like 26 gallons. Sometimes I’ll top off with just a few gallons off with 87 for long trips. It gets 17-17.5 in combined driving, 20 or better on just highway, and 9 pulling the Rv.

On the reliability front, I’ve had one build issue and one warranty repair. It was a 8/16/19 build that I bought in feb of 20. I “mail ordered” this one and it arrived with the rear passenger door not closing the last 1/8”. I’d noted several on the lots I visited that had some wonky doors alignments so this wasn’t a total shock. Dealer managed to fix this on first try without fan fare. The rest of the build quality was superb, as good as any of the many thousands of Toyotas I inspected for quality at the factory shipping line for seven years.

The warranty repair was for a running board. It was a simple issue the dealer made a pain, idiots didn’t bother with it the first try, saying I wasn’t driving enough. BS. Took three trips to get it all taken care of, a rock supposedly got up in the channel and fubared something. Got a new drivers side running board.

The Auto Unlock got persnickety for a good stretch, it wouldn’t unlock the passenger side sometimes, sometimes it would. Now it works again just fine. I’ve seen some blame their battery for this, I dunno, mine is still original and I still drive the same exact patterns as before. It worked just fine after sitting the ten days I was gone.

One thing I hate are the tires. I cannot wait to ditch the hankrooks, I manage to get around in the snow, but they don’t inspire any confidence, even though the tread appears barely worn. They will age out soon enough and on will go the Michelin LTXs that get high marks on here.

Only other issue I can think of is the trans shifts funny when cold. The 3-4 and 5-6 hit hard the first time when it’s under 35 out. Fine after that or if temps are above that range. I plan to have the trans fluid level checked next visit. I’m also going to have the coolant changed and the new updated stat installed.

I like the lift glass since it makes life easier when the bike rack is on the back and in general when I need something one the fly, I missed that on the rental Chevy. The dial shifter is way simpler to live with than anything else I’ve seen, the getting out by just turning the truck off is pretty cool, but weird to wrap my head around doing, so I usually don’t.

I drove a 19 Max without trailer package when I had a hard time finding others to test drive, skip those. It was sluggish taking off from a stop, it needed the boost to build to get moving. Power was fine going down the road. The 3.73 is the perfect gear for these things, don’t settle for less.

I’ve read on here that the plugs go bad after 30k, couple weeks ago I changed mine to the NGK ruthenium. Gaps were all .028 on what came out. The low speed response does seem better with the new plugs, surprised me since the old ones seem to have no wear.

That’s all I can think of that I’ve seen people wanting to know or that I’ve thought was important. If you have any questions, fire away.

Last edited:

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice write up. I'll also say that mine, 5 1/2 years old and 56K miles is also, almost, the best vehicle I've ever owned. Part of why I'm having trouble parting with it. Mine is 100% original, including the battery! Truly, no issues, ever! I do wonder if the tranny issue is starting to rear it's ugly head. It sometimes jerks into reverse when leaving the garage, and I've noticed hesitant shifts from 3-4 or 5-6. The other day it hung in 8th and struggled to shift to 9th.

Regarding your Tahoe. I rented one back in 2019(?) and hated it. It was ok in town, but just wallowed on the highway. The 2024 is much better, and I think the Yukon AT4 is even better. I'll say I'm currently on the fence to buy the AT4. That's huge as I haven't found anything I like as much or better than my Expy. The 5.3L is pretty good. Not "fast", but gets the job done. The Expy is faster for sure. I do think the 6.2L is pretty fast, maybe on par with the Expy. I do think the higher trims are better quality, more features. The few I looked at, Premier and High Country, do have the flip up rear glass.

Didn't mean to high jack, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s cool, I envisioned this as a reference for those in the market and Chevy has the biggest sales. It’s right to compare the two.

Same for just being able to compare experiences and see if what you are going through matches expectations for 2020s automotive stuff. I noticed the one guy is complementing selling his espy after troubles. Nothing seems great these days, some guys are saying the once mighty Toyota has slipped too.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m running a dry media filter from I believe AER. It’s not done anything special, other than I can hear the turbos better
I had a AEM dry filter (blue) too but recently changed it out for a OEM motorcraft air filter. The turbos are much quieter with the "restrictive" motorcraft filter and I already miss the AEM filter. Im prolly gonna go back to it once the motorcraft filter is due for changing. The 3.73 definitely gets the Expedition Going. Good write up

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked at the box and my filter is an AEM red one. I put the factory one back in for the dealer visit. Anecdotally, I think it runs better with the somewhat dirty factory filter. Hmm.

The service writer didn’t like my idea to check the trans fluid, wanted to change it “because it’s old.” WTF. So i didn’t like his idea to say the least.

He didn’t like my idea to change the stat. I hope they actually do it. Fingers crossed. Wish I had the time to do all this shit myself. I don’t even get to spend time on the old car much anymore. I used to do engine swaps, etc. Sigh.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice write up! Mine has been a great vehicle as well, best I've ever owned (rightfully so considering the price is double any daily I've ever owned) but, not without some issues, all sorted under warranty. Used it to tow a good bit and it ate both cats and the resonator. With the bad cats, from MT to PA I averaged 5mpg towing said 7K# TT. Put a lot of fuel through it! Just got the cam phasers done and no more noise at startup. The trans has the same issues other have mentioned. I have an extended warranty, so, hopefully a fix is determined for those. I wish I didn't have a sunroof at all to give a bit more payload, but, that is how the SE's come. 60.1K miles running Firestone Destination AT2s that perform really well in ice/snow/wet and ride awesome. I love it for road trips and is an ideal vehicle for a father of four. Flat tow it now behind our RV now and it is serving my family well. I'm told trans flush and fill is helpful for the rough shifts. Next service I'll do that and see, but, flyingwrenches on Instagram rebuilds so many of these 10 speeds I believe it is simply a poor design prone to issues. Updated parts may fix, but, will address if it gets really bad or before warranty is up. for many more years of trouble free use & operation.

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that sounds a lot like me. I have an extended warranty, an rv. and haul a bike rack. The cats issue is first I’ve heard, yikes!

bobward757

Reaction score
145000 on my ‘19 Platinum. Same experience. Best domestic truck I’ve owned. Plugs and all drive fluids every 60K. TSB T-stat a huge improvement when towing or driving like LeMans on the PA Turnpike.

Hankooks were horrible. In my second set of Pirelli Scorpion 3s. Absolutely love the wet handling.

Same tranny issues. Gonna do battery PCM reset next week as my next fix.

Looking forward to 300K before I’ll think of a new one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire