Rust hole in frame ugh!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey again guys,

I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer and had it in for service a few weeks ago. We see a small rust hole in the frame by the back passenger side rear tire. Right in front. It is small, maybe a half dollar. This truck which I have had for about 5 years just has a ton of rust underneath. I have already replaced the radiator support and the side panels above the running boards.

Can this be repaired? My mechanic said it really is not dangerous but...

Thanks!!

Brian

Allen Miller

Reaction score
Anything can be repaired. It's just a matter of how much money you want to throw at it.

I'd say the best bet is to stop the rust where it is with something like POR-15. Don't take it to Zeibart, as my experience shows that they are nothing more than scam artists when it comes to rust mitigation. Their prevention treatments on a new car are effective, but the mitigation treatments are snake oil.

Youtube results for your perusal

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had done some research on POR 15. Looks to be really great stuff. Looks like a bit of work to apply it under my truck hah. I might have to go out and get some ramps. I guess I will check with my local body shop as I would like to have it repaired before I have a go at the POR 15. Thanks.

Allen Miller

Reaction score
They are most likely to recommend a full frame replacement, at a cost of roughly $5k. Most places I know of won't take on the liability of a frame rust repair.

Wegner44

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help but it may help prevent future rust...

I grew up in Wisconsin and my uncle still drives a 1966 Ford Econoline van. Original frame, treated once a year (pre winter) with drain oil. It has worked for him for decades.

Just a suggestion...

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help but it may help prevent future rust...

I grew up in Wisconsin and my uncle still drives a 1966 Ford Econoline van. Original frame, treated once a year (pre winter) with drain oil. It has worked for him for decades.

Just a suggestion...
What is Drain oil and how does he apply it?

Wegner44

Reaction score
Drain oil is the old oil you remove from your engine when doing an oil change. Not sure of his exact method, I just know he always has done it. Whatever it takes to get a good coat of it on there. Paint roller, rags, etc. Just know it will drip some at first so don't do it over your nice concrete driveway. Not environmentally friendly...I know.... Just an old school solution.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Drain oil is the old oil you remove from your engine when doing an oil change. Not sure of his exact method, I just know he always has done it. Whatever it takes to get a good coat of it on there. Paint roller, rags, etc. Just know it will drip some at first so don't do it over your nice concrete driveway. Not environmentally friendly...I know.... Just an old school solution.

One of my friends father does that method too, not sure how often but he drives the only non rusty 96 E150 in the state of Illinois I must say. He uses a sprayer of some sort similar to that of a paint gun

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69