Seat Cover Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suzuki Todd

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their drivers side bottom seat cover? I have an 07 Expedition EB edition with the two tone seats but I don’t think the seats are leather. Just looking to getting them replaced as they look very worn and peeling.

- ST

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Todd. I replaced mine last month in a 2008. I ordered a leather bottom cover from TheSeatShop. It was about $200 but matched excellently. Installation wasn't a snap, but it went on very well. You need hog rings and a hog ring pliers to install them and you have to remove the seat.

They look exactly like the original. After cleaning the old seats, you can never tell this was replaced.

Their Web Site has a nice video outlining the installation. If yours isn't cloth it is leather. The seating surface is leather and the sides are vinyl. There are other, cheaper manufacturers out their but TheSeatShop has a video comparing their competitors' products and they don't match up. You get what you pay for.

https://www.theseatshop.com/store/install-video-search/#?make=FORD&model=EXPEDITION&year=2008

I also replaced the foam, ordering it from Tasca Ford, but it probably wan't necessary and it cost me an extra $100.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heated/cooled seats are highly dependent upon air flowing through channels in the seat foam. As the foam ages and wears, it crumbles, filling in the channels and obstructing air flow. Thus, replacing the seat foam can go a long way towards fixing inoperative climate seats.

With that said, however, be aware that an important airbag-related safety device is integrated into the passenger side seat bottom foam. This computer/sensor turns the passenger airbag on/off and may also be responsible for controlling the dual-stage functionality. Thus, it is critical to follow all safety instructions contained in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for working on the passenger seat bottom. Do not attempt to mess with passenger seat bottom foam unless you obtain a copy of the FSM for your vehicle and review all safety precautions first.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need hog rings and curved 90° needle nose pliers, you meant

Most hog ring pliers will NOT work with a seat bottom

Also, you COULD use zipties

PS done ALL seats in my old expy

Rejoice, driver seat bottom part is one of the easiest ones to do btw... although itll still take you hours first time

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
also purchased my drivers' side seat bottom from the seat shop and watched their video to aid in installation. it's not a quick process, but exceptionally happy with the outcome.

I used large needle nosed vise grips vice hog ring pliers.

View media item 3331

sdarc

Reaction score
The heated/cooled seats are highly dependent upon air flowing through channels in the seat foam. As the foam ages and wears, it crumbles, filling in the channels and obstructing air flow. Thus, replacing the seat foam can go a long way towards fixing inoperative climate seats.

Or having a trim shop replace the leather with look alike material only to find it is "perforated looking" and not perforated. Heat ok not so much AC.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I don't have heated/cooled seats, so I didn't order the perforated leather covers.

Ford no longer stocks foam for the non-cooled 2008 seats. They only have the foam with the channel for the cooling so I bought that. I didn't realize that there's a plastic duct that's also required to level out the top of the foam on the cooled seats. So in addition to spending $85 on new foam, and $180 on the seat cover, I had to drop $60 for an air duct that will never carry any air.

Then when I changed the cover I found the original foam to be in good condition.

I didn't need that $140 anyway.

And 1997SCEBFEX above is on the money. It takes a couple of hours and some work to change the cover but it looks great when you're done!