Should I change my transmission fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Called a shop today and they wanted 635$ for the job, seems high. Going to shop around.

You could drop the pan and change the fluid and filter for like $100 or less. Ford tech makuloco has a good YouTube video on it. I found the mercon lv for a good price on rock Auto. This is a job that's definitely best to do yourself if possible, not real difficult. You'll save many moneys and know that it was done correctly. Good time to dump the transfer case too.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did all of those when my expedition hit 90000. Just spent an afternoon doing at all. Got all the fluids from rock auto definitely the best value. All you need is a hand pump from auto zone to pump the fluid from the bottles into the transmission or differentials or transfer case. Also you can not pull the rear differential cover. You just have to pull the drain plug in refill. There's no room to remove the cover on the Expedition versus the F150

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Called a shop today and they wanted 635$ for the job, seems high. Going to shop around.

Sweet jesus. My local trans shop charges $400 for a flush and $200 for a drain/fill. He has 40 years experience, has my complete faith in anything trans related and I still think $400 is expensive. $635 seems ludicrous.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can’t hurt.
Cheap insurance. I’d do best available synthetic and filter.

NowThatsDamp

Reaction score
Drain and fill it every 60k miles. No need to do a "Power flush". Lifetime transmission fluid isn't a myth though. When the fluid fails, the transmission fails. See? The fluid lasted the lifetime of the transmission.