Should I change my transmission fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcopeland

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used 2010 Expedition with 80K miles on it. Transmission shifts fine but should I go ahead and get the fluid and filter replaced, since it's been 10 years?

Just had my 07 EB changed last week at the Transmission shop under $200. I have 147,000 miles, so far so good

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
It's a real messy job. You need something twice as big as the pan, to catch the fluid. I am sure there is stuff available, but I don't know of a pan that large. The transmission takes about 7 quarts of synthetic fluid, after dropping the pan. It's not cheap. That leaves 6 qts of dirty fluid in it. Forget flushing, because the filter needs to be changed. My local shop said they would drain/filter/fill, for $60, if I supply the fluid. One interesting thing I learned, Transmission fluid is dyed red. They actually make a red dye you can add.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve read of people getting trans flush at the Ford dealer, but then watch Ford technician videos saying never flush these with the thermal valve, your being ripped off. Brian says trying to maintain the temp needed to hold the valve open during a flush is very tricky and risks damaging the transmission. I think he said it would involve monitoring the trans temp with a scan tool. He does a traditional pan drop fluid filter change on these models. What do you guys recommend for the fluid in the cooler and torque converter? If it’s very dark, drive couple thousand miles and change fluid again?

Last edited:

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve read of people getting trans flush at the Ford dealer, but then watch Ford technician videos saying never flush these with the thermal valve, your being ripped off. Brian says trying to maintain the temp needed to hold the valve open during a flush is very tricking and risks damaging the transmission. I think he said it would involve monitoring the trans temp with a scan tool. He does a traditional pan drop fluid filter change on these models. What do you guys recommend for the fluid in the cooler and torque converter? If it’s very dark, drive couple thousand miles and change fluid again?

You could install a pan with a drain plug on it to make future drains easier after the initial fluid and filter change. The pans aren't very expensive.

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
The manual for my '11 says change at 150K. I changed it myself at 75K and 150K. It is messy to drop the pan without a drain plug. You just have to be careful and let down one corner first. Watch the videos. There is a dipstick. It's this tiny little thing on the right side of the transmission that goes in the fill hole. You have to be under the vehicle to access it. I have 198K now and no problems with the transmission.

My '00 EB 5.4L with the 4R100 tranny has a drain plug. I change that Mercon and filter every 30K per the owner's manual. I'm the original owner and have 328K miles on it. Never had an issue with the transmission. I'm still using the original reusable pan gasket and have never had a leak. It is far easier to change the tranny oil on the '00 than the '11 because of the drain plug and a full size dipstick & dipstick tube that you use to refill the transmission.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to get a traditional dip stick tube for this 6R75. I’ve seen couple different aftermarket ones on YouTube. Auto parts store claims only available from Ford. One was a B&M. It didn’t lock at the top of the tube though, not sure about it since these trans are pressurized. Or is it only a vacuum and not pressure?

Is that one reason they stopped with a tube? I had a vehicle, don’t remember which one, but I couldn’t get the trans dip stick out. Didn’t know why then, but now thinking it was the vacuum.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could install a pan with a drain plug on it to make future drains easier after the initial fluid and filter change. The pans aren't very expensive.

This is what I did.

Using a transfer pump to pump in the new fluid wasn’t fun, but it worked. Slow process. I intended to do a drain and fill shortly after changing the fluid, but I never got around to it.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to get a traditional dip stick tub for this 6R75. I’ve seen couple different aftermarket ones on YouTube. Auto parts store claims only available from Ford. One was a B&M. It didn’t lock at the top of the tube though, not sure about it since these trans are pressurized. Or is it only a vacuum and not pressure?

Is that one reason they stopped with a tube? I had a vehicle, don’t remember which one, but I couldn’t get the trans dip stick out. Didn’t know why then, but now thinking it was the vacuum.
Forget the dipstick the damage is done, they got cheap and left it out but it's not that hard to check the level. No vacuum or pressure, it's vented.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dropped the pan on mine but you can only change less than half of it, shame on the engineers. I am thinking it's best to just suck it out and put new in every 30k miles. The filters hold up fine unless you have a major problem. My last Ford truck manual said the filter was lifetime. Mine was squeaky clean when I dropped the pan and I left it in there. When I was a transmission mechanic they didn't even have filters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986