Should it Stay or Should it Go Now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjern13

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I purchased a 98 Expedition XLT with the 4.7L from my neighbor for a smoking good deal. He was the original owner and kept it in his garage the entire time. It has 90K miles and was cared for. He stopped driving it regularly about 10 years ago and also stopped maintaining it. He only put 1000 miles a year on it over the last 10 years. The truck is in good overall condition. Its exterior is in near showroom condition. The interior is like new and everything works.

My mechanic is recommending changing all fluids, new spark plugs, drive belt, fuel injection cleaning, replacing shocks, new tires, replacing a seal on the transfer case, leaking oil cooler lines, and some front-end components. The grand total is around $4600.

Should it stay or should it go?
Would you invest this amount of money into a 98?
If I do keep it, what is the largest tire that will fit on 16-inch rims?
I want to put skid plates on the underside. However, I can't seem to find any aftermarket or OEM.
How long do the timing chains last in the 4.7L?

I enjoy the community this forum provides. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2414.jpg
    IMG_2414.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 11

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what I think. 5k and whatever smoking deal you got, will not add up to a newer, or fewer mileage vehicle of same specs. You know the history of this vehicle, and the 4.6L are amazing engines that will last forever. I suggest you get opinions of other mechanics to check other prices, and if that work is even needed.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this is for parts and labor, I would say that’s pretty good but I would have a shop hook a scan tool up to make sure there are no codes coming from the engine first before having him fix on this list

Grizguy

Reaction score
If you going to add oversize tires and skid plate, sounds like you going to abuse it.. If that the case don't bother with the repairs. You should be able to get another 150K out of it if you take care of it. I can normally get 200k.. 250k or more out of my ford trucks..

rjrodney

Reaction score
Shocks and tires and steering and run it for a while is my vote. Especially if it’s running good. You can do most of that and do a nicer job by being meticulous. Most mechs hate working on Fords for some reason. Personally, I like it and there is tons of good internet help.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I purchased a 98 Expedition XLT with the 4.7L from my neighbor for a smoking good deal. He was the original owner and kept it in his garage the entire time. It has 90K miles and was cared for. He stopped driving it regularly about 10 years ago and also stopped maintaining it. He only put 1000 miles a year on it over the last 10 years. The truck is in good overall condition. Its exterior is in near showroom condition. The interior is like new and everything works.

My mechanic is recommending changing all fluids, new spark plugs, drive belt, fuel injection cleaning, replacing shocks, new tires, replacing a seal on the transfer case, leaking oil cooler lines, and some front-end components. The grand total is around $4600.

Should it stay or should it go?
Would you invest this amount of money into a 98?
If I do keep it, what is the largest tire that will fit on 16-inch rims?
I want to put skid plates on the underside. However, I can't seem to find any aftermarket or OEM.
How long do the timing chains last in the 4.7L?

I enjoy the community this forum provides. Thanks for the help.
Do NOT replace seal on transfer case. Mine has been leaking for 10 years now. Just check the fluid level once a year and you will be fine. Change fluids, albeit it has been 7 years since I replaced my coolant and it still tests good. . Replace spark plugs. YOU can replace shocks - its easy and shocks are cheap. what front end components you need to change? I replace tie rod ends and upper control arms every 3-4 years. It takes 2 hours for both sides. If you can do that yourself, parts are really cheap on line (probably half what the mechanic would charge for parts). Drive belt can be changed, but WHY? I would back - flush heater core. Are all 4 tires bad, or can you replace just 2 of them? Do not need top of the line tires - I have been using General Grabber on mine and it works great. See if you can defer some of the work. Tell your mechanic what are the most pressing issues (give them a budget - say $1,000) and let us know.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would check for rust including the radiator support where it attaches to the frame. If no rust, investing in the mechanicals should get you a few more years of it.

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
I look at my repair costs as the payment. Sure I spent $6K doing the engine but what other full size V8 4X4 are you gonna get for that money? Since that I've done rear brakes and a wheel bearing. Totaled up including purchase price, new trans, engine(with all new accessories), Tie-rods, A-arms, bushings, sway bar links, shocks, new BFG All-Terrains and 3" lift I'm at about $12K. I've had it about 39 months, putting my average monthly cost ~$325ish add in fuel and insurance and I'm still less than $600 a month. Ain't gonna buy much of a replacement truck for that kinda money. Plus if I DID go and buy something else, nothing says it won't need repairs of some kind!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze