side panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clayray

Reaction score
got a new prob here....my wife locked my keys in the car and had to have someone jimmy it open....when they did it, it messed the lock up, cause now when we lock it, it looks locked, but you can still open it....i'm trying to take the driver side panel off to take a look at it, but its putting up alot of resistance and i'm scared i'll break it...anybody got ideas how to pop it off?...thanx....

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the screws are on that year Expy but I DO know that you have to lift the panel UP to remove. Most peoploe try to pull it off...don't do that. :)

If there is a reflector or light on the lower part of the door, remove that and see if there is a mounting screw under there. I know there is one on Super Dutys. (for whatever that's worth...)

The other one is usually underneath the power window/lock control.

Slide it forward to remove.

T0DD

Reaction score
THIS SHOULD HELP

I posted this on another Expedition Forum. This should get you into your door.

2004 Expedition Door Panel Removal.

I just got done installing my new Polk Audio DB570 speakers and wanted to thank Andy-Expy03 for his great instructions. I decided that I would take pictures of the process and add them to Andy's instructions.

Instructions below are copied from another thread from Andy-Expy03, the pictures I took and added to assist with door panel removal. Enjoy. I swapped steps 1 and 2 because it was easier to remove the door handle panel first then remove the switches panel.

*Disclaimer - Do this at your own risk. I am not a professional installer, nor do I play one on TV. I have done this exactly one time myself. This information is totally worthless. In other words, you're on your own!*

First pull the inside door handle open and pry the trim panel around it off starting at the rear. Should come right off...

S1.jpg

Next, *carefully* pry up the panel at the front of the armrests where the switches are. Carefully, because the first one I pulled, I got overzealous and pulled the switches out of the panel. What you want to do is pry the panel up and pull the connectors off the switches. You have to press little 'buttons' on the connectors to get them loose.

S2.jpg

Then pry the ~1" x 6" oval panel behind/under the armrest off. You will see two Torx T-20 screws, remove them.

S3.jpg

S3a.jpg

Then go to the top rear edge of the door (inside the frame when door is closed) and remove a single philips screw.

S4.jpg

Then go to the bottom of the door and remove the two 7mm screws with a nutdriver.

S5.jpg

On the front doors, you will need to pry up the area just inside the rearview mirror. Start at the top and it pops right out.

Lastly, slide the entire panel "up" about 1" and you will be holding the whole thing in your hands.

*** no pictures for these steps***

Speakers are held in by four 7mm screws. ***This is a picture of my Polk Audio DB570 (5"X7") speaker installed in front door. ***

S6.jpg

To put it back on, reverse. One piece of advice on the front doors is to open the window before reinstalling. This will allow you to reach through and position the door lock button to go into the hole on the panel. Back doors, it doesn't seem to matter.

You can tighten the T-20's prett tight. Be careful with the philips screw and the 7mm screws as they go into plastic backings that could strip pretty easily. Snug should suffice.

Good luck!