Some Advice on Pricing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsdw2

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need some advice on vehicle pricing. We currently have an Explorer ST but need more space now that grandbabys are finally coming into the family. We live in UT and frequent Colorado, so we have been looking at Timberlines versus me upgrading another trim level. We love the star white color and those are hard to find in Timberlines. I found a loaded (501a) 2022 Timberline at Carmax LA and transferred it because the transfer price was only $200. I have noticed that Carmax used car prices seem to always be on the high side and that is the case here again. Their price is $68k and Carmax does not negotiate. On the positive side their trade in value for my ST is high as well. NADA says the average sales price for the model is $63,500 and KBB says $60,000. I guess my thoughts are as long as the trade value is high enough (above KBB by about $5,000) that the deal is probably still fair, but I wanted to get some feedback. I am not sure that the pricing services are valuing the $10,000 high package.

Any feedback is appreciated. I can easily walk away from a $200 transfer, but new is close to $82k for the same options and I just retired so that doesn't seem intelligent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thompsdw2

Reaction score
One think I left out is that when I look at local prices (mostly limiteds - very few used Timberlines), they are most all mid $60's. Doesn't mean you would end up there after negotiations, but just another data point.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need some advice on vehicle pricing. We currently have an Explorer ST but need more space now that grandbabys are finally coming into the family. We live in UT and frequent Colorado, so we have been looking at Timberlines versus me upgrading another trim level. We love the star white color and those are hard to find in Timberlines. I found a loaded (501a) 2022 Timberline at Carmax LA and transferred it because the transfer price was only $200. I have noticed that Carmax used car prices seem to always be on the high side and that is the case here again. Their price is $68k and Carmax does not negotiate. On the positive side their trade in value for my ST is high as well. NADA says the average sales price for the model is $63,500 and KBB says $60,000. I guess my thoughts are as long as the trade value is high enough (above KBB by about $5,000) that the deal is probably still fair, but I wanted to get some feedback. I am not sure that the pricing services are valuing the $10,000 high package.

Any feedback is appreciated. I can easily walk away from a $200 transfer, but new is close to $82k for the same options and I just retired so that doesn't seem intelligent.

Mileage and condition can affect the asking price.

One of my son’s bought a pickup truck from the local CarMax and now swears he will never buy another vehicle from any dealer except CarMax. He said the (used) vehicle was perfect and there was nothing wrong with the truck. He felt the price was fair and he was treated very well.

OP
OP
T

thompsdw2

Reaction score
Yep, we have bought several cars from them over the years and have always had a positive experience. They just seem to be "stuck" in the high used car prices over the COVID years. It's obviously changing now. I guess as long as they are high on "both sides of the ball" then it can still be a reasonable deal. As you pointed out, if it's not pristine we will likely walk away.

Last edited: