Suddenly undriveable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sulph

Reaction score
Hey all , hope everyone is ok, well here is my issue, I'm hoping someone can help.

I made a right hand turn in town yesterday, and suddenly the whole truck started shaking violently, I had to pull over, it seems all right going slow, under 20 mph but as soon as I go over or make a full lock turn the shaking and banging starts. I had my son lie down and look under the car as I drove forward and he said that on the rear passenger side , there's a big coil spring attached to a large bar that bounces really bad on that side , it also seemed that it was lower than the other side, I cant get it to a shop till Monday and my husband is overseas, I'm trying to figure out what the problem is and how much it will cost to fix , the tires aren't flat and no nuts are loose, I'm hoping it's not serious, it's a 99 expedition xlt

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
You may have broken the rear lower control arm. These are known to rust out. If this is the case I would not drive it at all until it is repaired or you risk much further damage to other components.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
These are replacement control arms. Does the lower control arm on yours appear to be straight??

Take photo if you can and upload it..

Attachments

• Expy 005.jpg
    Expy 005.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sulph

Reaction score
Unfortunently the truck is a 30 min drive away, the strange thing is , 2 days ago I had the tieres rotated and he mentioned the ball joints on the front end , but didn't mention anything about the control arms on the rear, I'll try and get a pic today

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Unfortunently the truck is a 30 min drive away, the strange thing is , 2 days ago I had the tieres rotated and he mentioned the ball joints on the front end , but didn't mention anything about the control arms on the rear, I'll try and get a pic today

It could be several things obviously but lower control arm rust issues are common. These locate the rear axle so if it breaks or bends the rear gets out of alignment causing all kinds of issues. Many times the paint remains and tends to hide the extent of the rust problem. Photo would greatly help diagnose.