Telescoping Steering Wheel Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkretch

Reaction score
2015 power steering wheel adjustment will go up and down but will not go in and out. No noise no movement.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
2015 power steering wheel adjustment will go up and down but will not go in and out. No noise no movement.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
It’s part of a computer module. Some F150 guys had this issue, DC’d the negative battery cable for 15 mins, plugged back in and it was all good. Easiest way to “reboot” the computers

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Before you assume the module, take a look under the column while hitting the in/out portion for the switch. If you see the motor move a bit it's likely the threaded rod got stuck at the out limit. Try to twist the threaded rod under the column with a pair of pliers while hitting the button.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you assume the module, take a look under the column while hitting the in/out portion for the switch. If you see the motor move a bit it's likely the threaded rod got stuck at the out limit. Try to twist the threaded rod under the column with a pair of pliers while hitting the button.

I realize that this has been a while, but hopefully someone can help me with a similar issue. My wife's steering wheel will move just a little each time you press the telescoping button. This goes for both in and out. If I keep pressing it, it will eventually go all the way out with the rod moving only about a half turn each time the button is pressed. Is this the motor going out possibly? (This dang truck is one thing after another)

Mike

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Mine wouldn't budge when I took delivery. I didn't realize it until I got her home and was exploring the bells and whistles... When I would hit the button to move it in or out, it wouldn't budge. When I looked under the column, the motor would rotate a quarter turn and lock up. I put a pair of pliers on the end of the shaft and rotated it past where it was locking up when I hit the button. I haven't had a problem since... I am getting the impression that yours was working and now is not?

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine wouldn't budge when I took delivery. I didn't realize it until I got her home and was exploring the bells and whistles... When I would hit the button to move it in or out, it wouldn't budge. When I looked under the column, the motor would rotate a quarter turn and lock up. I put a pair of pliers on the end of the shaft and rotated it past where it was locking up when I hit the button. I haven't had a problem since... I am getting the impression that yours was working and now is not?

Mine rotates a quarter turn when I press the switch each time....so eventually it works it’s way out. It just won’t continue to go out while pressing it continuously. I have a code present for the telescoping steering wheel, as well (something like an overcurrent situation detected or such). I'll have to pull the code again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got a new (to me) 2015 Limited. Having this same issue. Up and down fine, but in and out does nothing. I missed it on the test drive. Fortunately, it is at a comfortable position, so I am not super excited to fix it, but sometime this summer I will stick my head up under there.