third brake light problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman

Reaction score
I finally got around to the third brake light bulb replacement & when I removed the assembly three bulbs broke in two & one is melted into the plastic of the chrome plastic reflector. The three that broke were stuck in the plastic & broke off the bulbs upon removal. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any help!

OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

Reaction score
I may have to do that too. I really wondering if that plastic could catch on fire. It is melted pretty bad & is burned looking too. Where did you get an aftermarket one?

OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

Reaction score
Has anyone just put led bulbs back in the factory housing? Led bulbs don't get as hot so that might fix the melting plastic problem.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone just put led bulbs back in the factory housing? Led bulbs don't get as hot so that might fix the melting plastic problem.

Those cheap ass LEDs from China won't last long in there. Just put the 168's back in there. If the assembly shows signs of melting I would replace the whole assembly. If you're not the origninal owner maybe the previous owner tried to use a high wattage bulb in there? The 168's should not melt the assembly. You can even use 194's if you want a lower wattage bulb for even less heat.

-Mike

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I built my own LED board and attached it to the existing housing after the same thing happened to me. Looks stock and will last forever. Genuine Superflux LEDs, solder, wire, protoboard and some resistors is all it took.