this never really been resolved?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2007 xlt that was bought with original spark plugs at 84,000 miles a couple years ago.
I was misinformed when I bought it and it does not have the towing package. I pulled a loaded trailer weighing about 5,000 pounds for a while with no problems, as it was rated for 6,000 towing.
I was driving pulling a slightly heavier trailer at 6,000 pounds last fall and upon hitting throttle hard I got the misfire code P0305. It had pulled this trailer over the mountains with no problems on this trip. It had 108,000 miles, so I had the original plugs replaced. They installed Motorcraft PZK 14E, and reused the original COPs.
When the winter was over we were coming back to Minnesota with the trailer on. Unless I really did slow acceleration and babied it it would flash the misfire on the dash, and not rev past 3,500 rpm. Found if I only ran it to 3,400 rpm it wouldn't missfire. It was P0305 mostly, sometimes P0300, once a P0306. I replaced cylinders 5 & 6 with new COPs.
Now when I was driving without the trailer I got a P0305 code again and the blinking lite at 3,500 rpm. I was advised to replace all the coils, so I did.
When it did a P0305 again (no trailer) I took it into the shop. He told me it was beyond his ability to go further.
So I went to another shop and he told me the plugs were the wrong ones. He replaced them with Motorcraft SP546X. And he replaced a coil on 5. On the way home I floored it and it came up to 3,500 rpm, missfire flashing. Took it back, he replaced the spark plug in 5. I took it home, same thing. He drove it and replaced the #6 COP, checked compression in 5 (180 lbs) and a leakdown test on 5. He said it almost immediately blew smoke out the valve cover. Reports the timing chain has some play (original), engine is very clean, rocker arms on left bank, fuel injection pressure, catalytic converters all ok. He said either sell it or buy a new engine based on the blowby!
I am finding it hard to believe a clean internally engine with 180 pounds of compression is shot. It now has 115,00 miles.
I see all over the internet about similar complaints, but no one ever seems to go back online with a successful repair.
Should I take it to Ford??
I had the same blow-by issue some time back. I’d have issues with misfiring during highway driving when a heavy foot was on the gas pedal. while on the highway. Pulled plugs, and sensors; all had oil residue on them.

Cleaned the sensors with MAF sensor cleaner, and all was good. Until they got dirty again.

Then I resolved the blow-by issue with a catch can (Full Race) I was good. That’s until purchasing a Full Race catch can. Was working great. Then I installed the Full Race CAC with a TurboSmart BOV. For months I was catching anything in my catch can (BOV was working). Decided to go with a different setup to catch any residual oils from the PCV side of the engine. At which point a JLT catch can was installed… it catches all that used to be caught by the Full Race. Happy about that. Even happier I can install my engine cover. I’m aware of the slight rise in temperature due to the cover being installed, but I like how it looks over it not being there.

Besides, it’s not that big of a difference. I’m sure I make up for that rise in temp with the power I’m putting down due to mods. In fact, got some SPD downpipes I need to throw when I get home. Very excited about this next project.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"I am finding it hard to believe a clean internally engine with 180 pounds of compression is shot."

Maybe the oil control rings are coked up? Try some ring treatment to loosen them up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire