Too Much Shiny "Chrome" on 2016 Limited Shifter & Trim Ring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's annoyed by all of the shiny "chrome" on the 2016 Limited's console shifter and its trim ring (the brilliant (pun intended) Ford designers installed)? Maybe it's just my old geezer 67-year-old eyeballs, or my aviator style shades aren't large enough, but every time I'm out and about on a sunny day the glare off of this is so totally annoying. My wife won't let me slip an old dark-color sock over the shifter. She says it totally makes our new expensive Exp look junky. (Okay, I guess I've officially gotten old enough I've turned into my dad). :driver:

Rant light is now out. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's annoyed by all of the shiny "chrome" on the 2016 Limited's console shifter and its trim ring (the brilliant (pun intended) Ford designers installed)? Maybe it's just my old geezer 67-year-old eyeballs, or my aviator style shades aren't large enough, but every time I'm out and about on a sunny day the glare off of this is so totally annoying. My wife won't let me slip an old dark-color sock over the shifter. She says it totally makes our new expensive Exp look junky. (Okay, I guess I've officially gotten old enough I've turned into my dad). :driver:

Take it off.. Plasti dip it or get it professionally hydro dipped and put it back on nice and black lol

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a moonroof, and if so, do you keep its shade closed?

Are any of your windows tinted?

Consider getting your entire windshield tinted. They have very light shades of film available, like 70-90% and such, any of which will dramatically reduce glare. Will also reduce heat and UV rays. You and your trucks interior will both be cooler.

At 67, you can probably get away with putting sunglasses on top of your sunglasses. You shouldn't, but you can.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tint the windows...ppl requested the chrome on the inside and theyre competing with the other manufacturers...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4. I like the chrome on the shifter and trim ring and have never had a problem with sun glare.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4. I like the chrome on the shifter and trim ring and have never had a problem with sun glare.

i think if it is/was that big of a prob they wouldn't have done it an it wouldn't have gotten approved

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i get this problem too. shifter, center console trim, ac vent rings. in the desert sun it can be pretty annoying. it is on my list to dechrome the interior.

OP
OP
GeezingInVA

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
Do you have a moonroof, and if so, do you keep its shade closed?

Are any of your windows tinted?
No moonroof, and no window tinting (yet). Sunlight comes in from both side windows and windshield. Maybe I need to get oversized geezer-style aviator sunglasses? ;)

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Certain states won't allow you to tint the windshield or front windows. I know a buddy of mine had his windshield tinted with the 3M Crystalline tint that with no tint. Problem was the officer had polarized sunglasses and saw the window had the tint on it and he was ticketed. You may want to check your local laws just in case.