Transmission Jerks when Coming to Stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Fluid was low and needed a half a quart to get it into the full range. Unfortunately the shudder is still worse than before changing the fluid and filter.

Matticus

Reaction score
What about other driveline components? Is it possible there is wear and/or a problem in the transfer case, joints etc that is causing the clunk/shudder you are feeling? Or does it definitely feel like a trans issue?

Long story short, I've got trans I've had replaced unnecessarily because it would often clunk when slowing down, right at 25mph, when it shifted into 3rd. I'm now convinced it's due to a sudden release in tension when the torque converter unlocks that then echos through something else in the driveline that has some slop

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
What about other driveline components? Is it possible there is wear and/or a problem in the transfer case, joints etc that is causing the clunk/shudder you are feeling? Or does it definitely feel like a trans issue?

Long story short, I've got trans I've had replaced unnecessarily because it would often clunk when slowing down, right at 25mph, when it shifted into 3rd. I'm now convinced it's due to a sudden release in tension when the torque converter unlocks that then echos through something else in the driveline that has some slop
It’s 2WD so no transfer case.

It could be other components, but I’m very confident it’s the transmission and specifically the torque converter.

Does the computer or something need to be reset? Not sure why replacing fluid and filter is now causing a worse shudder.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Also noticed that the idle is rougher and ride is a lot tougher as well.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The torque converter clutch failed on my 2007 with 140k miles, I’m in for a transmission replacement whenever I get time to have it done. Too busy the next month and it drives and shifts perfectly fine.....only slightly higher rpm on the highway with no lockup. I was told it’s safe to drive it like that until inspection time if I had to.

My Fluid was full and slightly dirty but not burned or anything. Just a random failure with no warning or symptoms before it failed. One day it just decided not to lock up and threw a wrench on the dash. The route I’m taking is ordering a 6R75 from LKQ out of a totaled expy. They are available with lower mileage on them and are warranted for defects. $900 or so plus labor and shipping is the approximate damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
According to a service technician at my local Ford dealer, removing those 4 quarts and putting in new fluid (which is naturally thinner), would cause the shuddering and shifting to worsen.

Matticus

Reaction score
If the trans is likely shot, you could see if adding one of those anti slip additives does anything. I think all they do is thicken the fluid up. Could buy your some more time for cheap. I thought Lucas made some

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
If the trans is likely shot, you could see if adding one of those anti slip additives does anything. I think all they do is thicken the fluid up. Could buy your some more time for cheap. I thought Lucas made some
I did actually add both LubeGard ATF protectant and LubeGard Dr. Tranny.

I’m thinking of dropping the pan again and replacing the extracted fluid with the fluid I initially removed, since I haven’t disposed of it. Maybe adding another 2oz LubeGard Dr. Tranny.

Thoughts?

Matticus

Reaction score
Putting the old fluid back in just seems icky to me, but it may add back in the particles that were giving you the friction needed to mitigate the shudder