Tune Question - Limited vs Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol but before you do that go over to the EcoBoost forum and read their blown engine thread...all those guys with blown low mile motors seem to be running those crazy 5* tunes end up with rods blowing holes through the block and get no warranty coverage.

I 100% believe that.
I have not had the time to read up on the tunes and their reliability. Have there been any of their more moderate tunes that don't blow the engines? I just haven't had the time to read up on them and haven't tuned because of it.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was liking the Rousch Tune because it was dealer installed and warranty stayed in tact. Sure its speedy, but hell we already spent 60-80K on these things, why put a risky tune on it?

Redstripe19

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Valid question. Drove a Limited and a Platinum and felt they both needed a little more umph to suit me. Right before I test drove them, I tested a Durango SRT which is crazy quick and that probably didnt help my impression. Durango is just a bit small inside though. I have a 2012 Shelby GT500 as well with some fun bits added that dynoed at 683 rwhp...more power is sort of my thing I guess :)

I used to spend time on the Shelby forums. One of the things I remember was that guys who had added huge amounts of horsepower figured out what were the weak parts of the engine/drive train and beefed those up to handle the power. I’m sure there are people who have added enough horsepower to figure out what needs to be strengthened on these engines. I’d be interested to know what they are.

OP
OP
L

Leon Nett

Reaction score
The Platinum and non Platinum use the same engine, they will see the same results from the tune. The Expedition engine actually makes MORE TUNED HP than the Raptor engine does after its been tuned. I'm not exactly certain on all the details, but 5 star has shown the dyne graphs and it indeed does. The Raptor engine has higher compression and such, so I'm sure they can feed more air to the lower compression engine.....

But wouldn't a tuned Navi/Raptor have power than a tuned Expedition?

OP
OP
L

Leon Nett

Reaction score
The Platinum engine is no different than the "base" engine, just tuned a little hotter out of the box. If you're going to tune the piss out of it don't waste your money on the Platinum thinking you'll get more ponies out of it.

Got it, assumed so but was confused by a response from 5 Star.

TBaganATX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well..

I have had tuned several of my trucks and cars over the years and luckily no issues. I have a 2010 GMC Sierra that's tuned and has 250k (original owner btw) and going not a single issue.

I just came out of a 2017 F150 SCrew Platinum 302A package. 4" lift, 35" tires and tuned. Original Tuned from MPT then, bought new tunes from 5*. It was in and out of the shop constantly ( non tuned issues) sunroof, rattles, dash, leather etc. Each time I put the truck back to stock and always asked for updates from them.

Prior to that's I had 2012 F150 KR similar set up.. no issues Gen 1 EB

Now I have a 19 Expedition FX4 202A package with 3/2 Level and running 33" MT tires. I bought new tunes from 5* (Great Guys btw) and have them loaded.

Holy sh*t it is night and day from my 17 F150. Put it in sport mode, and turn off the traction control, those MT soon 1 and break loose thru 3rd.

I have had the truck a month now, and I don't like the body roll, nor do I like the front end almost getting away from you when u put your foot in it. I do plan on switching to Bilstein 5100s and upgrading the front and rear sway bars. When I did this to my truck, it was perfect for me.

Tuning is a preference, and I prefer too. I have not had any issues with any of the tunes.. Im still on a bunch of F150 sites, most people blowing motors, rods, pistons are using the tunes of 1 particular company that I hear of. I have yet to hear of a single person or issue with 5* or their tunes.

So there is my .02 on 5* and tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against standard tuning, I like 5Star they are a good company. But these crazy E-50 Tunes with immense boost and cooling modifications strain the engine....ALOT. Increased performance is never at no cost. Those guys who have blown built 1,000 horsepower 5.0s try pulling the same thing. Extra power always results in more engine stress.