TV setup for tailgating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MBudde

Reaction score
I'm heading to a game this weekend and curious if I can power a TV (relatively new, smartTV, about 42") in the tailgate area of my Expedition. I have a Roku stick that provides me with live TV (NFL games and NFL Redzone) via the SlingTV app, which will connect to the vehicle's WiFi, but I'm not sure if the outlet in back has the power to operate the TV.

Also concerned if I have the TV running for 2-3 hours during the tailgate if it will drain the battery when it's time to leave after the game.

Anyone ever tried this type of setup?

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A new Samsung un43nu7100 draws 50watts in typical operation with a maximum of 105watts. You should be ok. What I would be concerned about is how to keep the power on for that long. Not sure if the truck turns itself off after a fixed period of time.

OP
OP
M

MBudde

Reaction score
I figured I'd keep it running so as not to drain the battery as quickly, and it will keep the unit warm enough for operation (gonna be a cold one here in Chicago!). Wasting gas aside...should be fine for 2-3 hours hopefully.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you go camping? Have frequent power outages? My neighbor does a lot of camping/boating/outdoorsy stuff and showed off his Honda EU2200i generator. Its incredibly quiet. Its just something else I don't really need but want, looking at either EU2200i or Yamaha EF2000iSv2.

EU2200i can be had for about $1k shipped. You can probably run the TV and Keurig for hot chocolate.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually rent/sell that Honda generator, I love those little things! Super quiet and they handle way more than what they say they do.

Mothnuts

Reaction score
I’m not sure where you are located, but I have a brand new Honda EU2200i Companion generator still in the box I bought last winter I’d like to sell. Bought it during an ice storm and never ended up using it.

OP
OP
M

MBudde

Reaction score
Ok, so I actually tested it with my truck and ran it for about 30mins during the test. Seemed to work just fine with a 49" TCL 4k Roku TV during that test. A little research showed me that the outlet in the Expedition allows up to 150W max output, my TV averages a required 100W consistently, so on paper, this should have worked fine. I was however still a little worried I'd drain my battery for the 3 hours we'd be running the TV and I'd come out to a dead truck in the parking lot after the game. So I bought this jump starter/power source from Home Depot for $90 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schumac...00-Amp-Battery-Jump-Starter-BE01255/207126115 Worked like a charm and powered the TV and charged someone's phone for about 2.5 hours during the tailgate. Thanks for the answers though everyone