Vacuum Leak - Parts ID Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boozaro

Reaction score
Good afternoon-

So, I've finally had enough with the Check Engine Light being on. I broke down and purchased a smoke machine. Holy Smokes! Literally. It's like someone is sending smoke signals in my engine compartment.

I've got smoke coming from 2 spots. I am guessing that's bad since the system is supposed to operate under a vacuum. Can someone A. tell me if smoke should or should not be coming from these locations and B. what are these parts called?

I'm not just being lazy. I've consulted my Haynes manual and Googled what the parts are called, so I can order replacements. But I'm not having any luck. And before I ordered new ones, I thought I consult the experts here as to whether or not they need replacing.

I've attached photos for the 2 parts, as well as where the smoke was coming from. I really appreciate any help you all can provide.

One last question, opinions on going with OEM parts. If I'm taking this sucker apart, I'd rather do it once and feel like I won't have to do it for a while. So - thoughts on aftermarket parts vs. OEM? OEM is a little more, but I know you get what you pay for with some things.

Thanks.

Boozaro
2004 Ford Expedition
5.4 L, Eddie Bauer, 4x4

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

boozaro

Reaction score
Okay - I feel like an idiot. Another Google search showed me the one part is the EGR. I'm friggin blind.

But still, should smoke be coming from there? And I still don't know what that other part is.

OP
OP
B

boozaro

Reaction score
You will see a little smoke leaking out of the idle air control valve, it's vented, that's normal. You should not see smoke coming out of the EGR valve. If you do, that's possibly a bad diaphragm in the EGR valve. Are you getting any DTC codes ? Or having idle issues?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...+v8,1427756,exhaust+&+emission,egr+valve,4968

Thanks for the reply, Hamfisted.

Negative on idle issues.

Affirmative on the codes. I have three: P2196, P0171 and P0174

I also noticed there was a small leak from the grommet on my Air Intake Temperature Sensor. One or more of the codes may be related to that, but I'll replace that too.

The only issue I am having with the car, other than the codes, is the trans is lagging on accelerating from a stop - and then "thuds" into gear. And then if I decelerate in the lower gears, the engines revs without engaging. And then eventually will kick into gear - or I have to come to a complete stop. I didn't think these issues could be related. But what the hell do I know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

boozaro

Reaction score
For the trans issues I would recommend first verufying fluud level.
Everything you are describing wouldxresult from low fluuid.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

That's what I thought, as well. But I checked the fluid and it seemed a little low, but not crazy low. But in the "add" zone of the dipstick. I added a quart. Level showed normal. But the problem still persisted.

Now transmissions are out of my wheelhouse, but I read that a new filter could help. So I replaced the filter, added back 4 quarts of ATF. The problem is still there. Again, trans aren't my thing, so I was planning to take it to a shop unless you have another recommendation.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
Dude you have done everything I know how to do to transmissions,I'm sorry, wish there was more I could do to assist

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Epadilla0616

Reaction score
Can someone tell me where the vacuum line for the heater control valve goes to and if it connects to the front or back of the valve. My mechanic said it’s not supposed to be connected but why does it have it then ???

2003 Ford Expedition XLT
4.6 L 2x2
180,000 miles

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can someone tell me where the vacuum line for the heater control valve goes to and if it connects to the front or back of the valve. My mechanic said it’s not supposed to be connected but why does it have it then ???

2003 Ford Expedition XLT
4.6 L 2x2
180,000 miles

You can kind of see the heater valve in the OP's second picture, with the vacuum hose correctly connected.

1P4hdr.jpg