what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishnboy

Reaction score
hello,Im new to the fourm and just bought my 1st expedition and lovin it besides the gas mpg.OH MY GOL holy cow that thing drinks the gas!!!it is a 2000 model 4x4 and ever thing is stock.5.4..just wanted to know yall thoughts on what should look out for and what to do to get better gas mgh.and it is awd and is they any way to unhook it.what is some of the prob i can prevent?hope i have a lot of in put and thoughts would be greatly appreciate.thanks guys.

00XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trade in in for a Explorer. Jk, you could get a tuner and do the Gotts mod.

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
easy fix, never need to buy gas again, do a propane mod, hehe, wait im thinking about doing that, hmmmm wasnt so funny, just look for the ugly lifted expy with 2 big propane tanks mounted to rear bumper

lakesidebluexpy

Reaction score
fishnboy-

well, you do have a few strikes against you. did you think an expy was a fuel mizer? its a WAY heavy big truck based vehicle! and you got one that is 4x4! its even heavier, so even more weight.

better fuel mileage?-

1- drive it like there was an egg under the accelerator....don't break it with jack rabbit starts!

2- be religious about tire pressure.

3- make sure your alignment is spot on.

4- take off the roof rack....less stuff in the slip stream.

5- no hard braking/ jack-rabbit starts during in-town traffic light races. its not a race car.

6- take out ALL weight inside...don't carry the third row seat around folded up in the back (big weight penalty). no extra gear/tools/stuff just riding around.

7- put in a clean air filter regularly. tune it up carefully.

8- drive it mostly on interstates. with my 4x2 i can get (as indicated on the overhead console) around 17mpg or better interstate driving. if you are using this mostly around town/stop and go, expect with a 4x4 to get much worse!

9- analyze your needs. maybe its really not the right vehicle for what you do. after all, do you off road or go mudding? or, really, just how much snow how often does chattanooga really get.....to justify 4x4. i know, it is cool, but....you identified a problem with your purchase (gas mileage).

hope this helps....good luck with it. trust no one who suggests that by adding stuff onto your engine/transmission you will be able to get 20 or more miles per gallon with your truck. not happening. do a forum search.....

lakeside

OP
OP
F

fishnboy

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.yeah this is the truck for me, got four kids and have a 28ft boat so goin to need big motor.need 4x4 cause i love to fish in the winter and the boat ramp is always iced over.just think i should get better then 8mpg.I think i should be aleast getting 10 around town and around 15 on hwy.think i should change the plugs and fuel filter and never thought bout the weight guess when i dont have the kids should pull that 3rd seat out.maybe get a chip for it to.what the kinds i should look at and the ones i should stay away from?

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should def be getting more then 8mpg even if you are city driving. I would recomend a FULL tune up and all fluid changes. No reason why you are only getting 8mpg so its something to think about. I have a 99 EB 5.4 have it for 6 yrs now with 157k miles and i still get 16-19mpg hwy driving depending on road conditions. City driving i get around 13-15mpg.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should be getting better than 8.... I average 8.3 in the winter and about 9.2 in the summer and thats with 11" of lift an 37s.... I need money then I'll be putting in gears but have other bills that need to be paid first but I'd defiantly get a full tune up and maybe a cold air intake and better free flowing exhaust will help

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even with the truck bone stock it should be getting more then 8mpg.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the reply.yeah this is the truck for me, got four kids and have a 28ft boat so goin to need big motor.need 4x4 cause i love to fish in the winter and the boat ramp is always iced over.just think i should get better then 8mpg.I think i should be aleast getting 10 around town and around 15 on hwy.think i should change the plugs and fuel filter and never thought bout the weight guess when i dont have the kids should pull that 3rd seat out.maybe get a chip for it to.what the kinds i should look at and the ones i should stay away from?

My 2002 5.4 2wd is stock except for a k&n drop in air filter. I average 15 city and 18 hwy. Worse mileage was 12mpg with a bad coil. Check all your fluids.
Get an oil change. Check your tire pressure. This should get you started in the right direction.