What tuner would you recommend for improved fuel economy - 2013 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Johnathan M I'm just repeating what has been said, but to get best MPG on these: 1) tire pressure (35-40 psi), and 2) chill out and slow down, some people floor it every green light, only to screech to a halt at the red light 200 yards away. I have driven like a jerk, and like a grandma, and it made 2-3 mpg difference, which is alot. I have read many posts on here regarding tuners and most (I can't say all) of them say they don't help mpg, with marginal power improvements. If you end up getting the tuner, let us know if it helps.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In our 2013 4wd, with one of the seats x cargo carrier on top we can get 18 moving about 65 mph. Any faster an were down to 16 and lower. Mileage in the city is not worth calculating, it's pretty lousy.

OP
OP
Johnathan M

Johnathan M

Reaction score
newer ones will get close to 20, but i believe they weigh about 700lb less and probably have active air dams on the front.
LOL!! I read your reply wrong the first time and thought you said they weigh 7,000 lbs less! I was like, what? They weigh nothing? :D

OP
OP
Johnathan M

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I don't feel like I drive with a heavy foot, (definitely less heavy than my wife :)), but I did try being intentional today about how quick I pulled out from a stop, and how early i let off the gas coming up to a stop. I also am being intentional about not letting it idle after starting it up or when arriving somewhere (in the winter, I've had a tendency to let it idle a lot). It is making quite a bit of a difference already!

Don't get me wrong. I love my Expedition! It's awesome!! I just figured I'd see what others had to say about ways to improve mpg. Thanks for all your comments!!

RockyPatel71

Reaction score
My Expy is fairly new 2021 bought in late october 21. What was said about keeping your foot out of it is true. I can get closer to 17 if i can keep it under 70mph. getting closer to 60 gets even better. i was trying to improve my numbers by changing the way i drive but decided that a couple of MPGs was not worth the wait time and aggrevation. I live in the city and drive more highway than city miles and my MPG is still aweful. i am going in for service soon and will see what the dealer can do about making it better
fuelio.jpg

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a half ton truck, it's going to get fuel mileage of a box going down the highway. If you want better fuel mileage, buy an economy sized car. I hear crazy numbers that some claim, but every full sized vehicle I've driven is between 14-18 unloaded, dropping to 9-13 loaded. On a 300 mile highway trip last weekend I averaged 17.5mpg in my 17 with the 3.73 ratio differential. Now this engine has enough power it would probably be okay with a 3.08, but I didn't buy it for fuel economy.

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got my 2007 EL for it's ability to haul a lot of stuff, and with the automatic 4x4. Also because I got a really good deal on it because it was a bare bones model that a dealer who specializes in trucks with all the trimmings bought. They figured it'd be a quick flip for some good profit but it sat on their lot for over three months. Turned out that their reputation for dealing in the $$$$$$$$$ trucks didn't have any bargain hunters trolling their lot. So they let it go cheap. Fine with me! No sunroof, no power running boards to fail, none of that other unnecessary electronic stuff to fail. Best MPG it gets is 17.

Would be nice if Ford had the full time real AWD available on the Expedition like it was with the V8 Mountaineer and Explorer. The auto 4x4 on the Expedition is literally clunky compared to that. Lose traction in the back and it clunks and lurches a little when the front drive is engaged. The AWD system is completely "invisible" due to its center differential and the smooth engagement of the viscous coupling, and nothing electronic about it.

If I had the money to burn I'd try getting a 2WD 3rd gen, swap the front drive from a 4x4 into it, then make the Mountaineer transfer case fit to give it that smooth AWD.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would be nice if Ford had the full time real AWD available on the Expedition like it was with the V8 Mountaineer and Explorer. The auto 4x4 on the Expedition is literally clunky compared to that. Lose traction in the back and it clunks and lurches a little when the front drive is engaged. The AWD system is completely "invisible" due to its center differential and the smooth engagement of the viscous coupling, and nothing electronic about it.

Interesting. I've noticed the front getting power while slipping in 4A but I would by no means call it clunky. In fact, I'm rather impressed with how well it works all things considered.