Wheel Rim advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
My 2014 EL ... I want a second set of rims for my second set of tires and have no idea how to pick from the 400 types available. I run A/T type18" tires. Expy is white. Don't want to get super fancy just good solid extra set so I can switch wheels summer / winter and if they look good even better! Was hoping like $175 apiece but if I have to pay more to get strong quality so be it. Anybody have any advice? I have no skill with appearance was thinking black but would that look good? Plan to buy the chrome Gorilla lugs also. Tires to mount for now are Kumho Road Venture At51

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not find a set of take offs someone's selling cheap. Look into it, but I think all the six lug f150/expedition/Navigator wheels should bolt up. If your not overly picky on your winter wheel look, pick and pull is probably your cheapest bet. What I do with pretty good results is put a parts wanted ad in all the freebie websites, Craigslist, let go, etc.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
F150 takeoffs are your best bet. You can probably find some F150 wheels with winter rubber already on there, also.

If you want really cheap, maybe SSV steelies with LT rated AT M+S tires will suit your winter needs

PS oh if you already have both sets of tires, just get whatever Ford/Lincoln takeoffs are right for the size.. whats the full size? (Ex: p 255/70r18? Lt 265/65r18?)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like he's already got tires, Kumho's. But like Adieu stated rim size is important depending on the width of the Kumhos. You don't want too wide, or too thin a width rim for your atv tires. Sometimes tire shops have rims they want to sell, if customer left old ones behind.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
I run the OEM stock size
for the 2014 Expy EL XLT
... 275/65R18 .
OEM stock is Passenger tires, but I run LT because I want deepest tread depth I can get.
Just have to add more pressure (~44 psi seems to work well).

I have Firestone Destination AT's on there now and the Kumho's waiting for winter.
Next set I buy will be Falken Wildpeak AT3w (like I have on my 2003 "Rusty")

I was thinking I was going to get second rims to save money, but I think the real motivation is BLING
If I run the numbers, not sure paying $1000 for second set of rims is going to save me any money?
I, like any other red blooded American male, wants to make my vehicle look as GOOD as I can.
BLING it on!!! Who knows, maybe I'll be blacking out the brake lights next.

After a career in Engineering … I want to stick with the vehicle OEM Engineering so I don't want offset or lift.
at least that's what I think at the moment

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get wheels for anything from 50 to 1500 bucks.

Stock Ford F150/Expy wheels probably 250-600 for the set

Knox GSL

Reaction score
I just sold a set of 18" take offs with a half worn set of Michelin ltx tires for $250. Rims were chrome and in good shape.