Manual Window Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I could put hand cranks in the expy? I plan on removing the door skin and replacing it with a piece of diamond plate and for those of you who have read my other posts I like manual everything so that's my reasoning behind the swap and caus my window motor is dying

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but man you love to make a lot of work for yourself haha. I would seriously doubt anyone has done it so you are on your own as far as design...

I would guess since manual windows have not been used since the 80's in Ford trucks, you would have to rig your own operator, but it would certainly be possible. Look up some designs of manual window regulators and see if you can use the scissor design that the current ones do, that way you don't have to worry about fitment issues.

EDIT: Was interested if you could so did the google search for you, now just have to find the geared parts...: https://www.google.com/search?q=man...ontiac_grand_am_window_regulators.htm;511;250

A scrapyard can get you a used window regulator for 20 bucks, and it takes ten minutes and a second set of hands to install. To me there is nothing better than driving with all the windows down and it would be a pain to have to walk to each door individually haha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My friend has an 04 F150 with hand crank and I just lean to roll them down but I can use the inside of the door as storage with out wires and stuff... The expedition is going to be come a bade bones straight axle 5 speed off road monster when I'm done

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm well if he has such a new truck with cranks it is possible that F-150's from the same era would have had cranks too. I don't know for sure if an F-150 door is a straight swap for an expy door but it might be a place to start to look for non-jerry rigged regulators.

I have just looked at a lot of trucks from the 90's and never have seen them with hand cranks so I had figured they had fizzled out by then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire