Window tint update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For some reason, I have never thought of tinting the sunroof...seems like a brilliant idea...

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my state only the cartel runs tint on the windshield. That and posers who haven’t figured it out yet. I get Florida but check your state laws most only allow what’s called an eyebrow.
In Florida most cars/trucks have tinted windows. You are correct only an "eyebrow" is legit on the windshield extending down to the stamp on the glass. I cheat and bring down about 8-10". That works for me. The leo's run close to privacy tint on their windows, windshields are clear both cruiser's and pov's. Kinda hard to cite folks for doing what leo's are doing.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what the "new" thinking on tinting sunroofs is, but it used to be not recommended due to possible breakage. Maybe there's newer technology? It really does make sense, especially in the west and south.

OP
OP
Mr Big

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what the "new" thinking on tinting sunroofs is, but it used to be not recommended due to possible breakage. Maybe there's newer technology? It really does make sense, especially in the west and south.
Nowadays ceramic tint is the best to use and can reduce UV and heat with virtually little to no tint. I'm not worried since I used Air Blue 80 on mine. And most reliable tinting companies will tell you what's best for the sunroof.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nowadays ceramic tint is the best to use and can reduce UV and heat with virtually little to no tint. I'm not worried since I used Air Blue 80 on mine. And most reliable tinting companies will tell you what's best for the sunroof.
Just this. I remember being worried when I went to get window tint about the sunroof and all the chatter about the glass exploding in the heat. Detailer laughed and pointed me toward ceramic tint. I also had my windshield tinted and you can't tell by looking at it. Live in Georgia and the tint is just what the doctor ordered for keeping the UV and heat down on the interior. Don't get me wrong, you leave your Expy out in the sun and it heats up but the interior is much more protected. Also, could just be a mental thing but I believe the interior cools down quicker on those days it is left out. I also believe the air conditioner doesn't work as hard when driving on road trips. Just my 2 cents worth.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my state only the cartel runs tint on the windshield. That and posers who haven’t figured it out yet. I get Florida but check your state laws most only allow what’s called an eyebrow.
Here in Florida its the local police that go for illegal tint. There are only two exceptions; K9 vehicles and undercover vehicles (to blend in with riff-raff, I guess).

Our local PD has all the (Explorer SUV) vehicles tinted excessively. (It started when I tried to get attention of a local cop who was parked by rapping on the passenger side glass and he freaked. This was at high noon, he absolutely could not see me.) I called the then, Chief and he denied, asked me to send unit numbers. As if I am going to stand in the PD lot and take down unit numbers. It is all of them!

As far as civilians, the front windshield cannot be tinted below the A1 line and must not be reflective. I don't like the job that was done on my new to me 2013 and the air blue 80 UV stuff sounds like what I would like.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Geez, reading comprehension.
Tint law isn’t based on window color. Its based on light pass thru numbers. It’s directly linked to night time visibility. Get in a wreck at night with front windshield coatings and your insurance has a legal out to skip coverage. Great example of you can but should you?

OP
OP
Mr Big

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tint law isn’t based on window color. Its based on light pass thru numbers. It’s directly linked to night time visibility. Get in a wreck at night with front windshield coatings and your insurance has a legal out to skip coverage. Great example of you can but should you?
Some states do not allow any tint, regardless if it's clear or not, or base their rulings on the darkness of the tint. Some states won't allow darker tint on the driver and passenger front doors. While other states are more forgiving. Nighttime visibility is based on the darkness of the tint, not UV and heat reduction.
Regarding insurance companies, they do not care, except tickets and accidents cause rates to go up. And, window tint can actually keep the glass from shattering, possibly causing the driver and passengers to get seriously hurt.
And then there's old tint vs. the new ceramic tint. It's a whole new ballgame. As most know, they even cover cars with ceramic wrap to protect the paint, etc. That's something I have not done, due to the cost of a large SUV. But I've seen it done and it is very impressive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani