Sas!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernexpy38s

Reaction score
so im getting ready to do a dana 44 solid axle swap on my expy, and i was wondering if anyone has done it already who would have a write up? Im looking to clear at least 40s! Im also converting it from 2wd to 4wd with a full divorce np205 t case. should be a fun project! any input is appreciated greatly@

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My advice would be to go with 1 tons a Dana 44 ain't going to hold up to 40 very long if you do much offroad at all. Super duty axles are nice on these trucks since the abs is comparable.

OP
OP
S

southernexpy38s

Reaction score
yes i was thinking the same thing! but i dont offroad it much and its mainly for show. i want to keep my 5 lug rims tho. ima do a dana 44 outta dodge.

OP
OP
S

southernexpy38s

Reaction score
I finished the solid axle swap! it went better than i thought it would. I used rear leaf springs out of a 07 F350 dually (13 leaf packs, but took all but the 4 main springs out). made custom front spring hangers out of 1/2" thick diamond plate steel, bolted thru the frame and completely welded all the way around. The rear shackles are made out of 1/2" thick flat bar and Dom Tubing. They are on a heim joint ( ILL Explain this when someone asks). I used DOM tubing for the drag link and tie rod, with 3/4 QA1 heim joints. Full crossover steering, machined Hi steer knuckle on the passenger side. Drop pitman arm from a 95 F250 (same splines, 3 inch drop pitman arm to take some stress off that heim joint. all grade 8 bolts. I have some pictures. and will get them up loaded shortly.

OP
OP
S

southernexpy38s

Reaction score
IMG_20121213_114445.jpg
[/IMG]

2012-12-13_11-03-35_271.jpg
[/IMG]

2012-12-23_14-00-32_321.jpg
[/IMG]

2012-12-13_11-03-57_683.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes I know the front is like 8 inches higher than the back, but it is currently in the shop for that and the mounting of the Transer case now. I have done a rear leaf spring conversion, and added 4.88's, chromemoly axle shafts, and a mini spool to my 8.8. Im waiting on the gears and carrier for the front axle so until those come in... no 4x4 for me. I got a cable shifter from JB Custom Fab, out of Salem Oregon. I went ahead and twin sticked the transfer case before i put it in. Drove it for a little while and got terrible death wobble, so im adding dual trac bars to eliminate that. I had only like 4 inches of up travel on the shocks, so i extended the shock mount on the top. I am going to do a write up when i get it out of the shop, with bunches of pictures and information. Let me know what yall think! Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire