00 Expedition from the Bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madmaxwell87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,
Finally get to start a thread instead of lurk. This weekend I bought a 2000 Expedition after selling my 2000 F150. Its got 145k, 4x4, 5.4L, leather, rear air, 3rd row, Pioneer head unit, skidplates, limited slip rear, drilled and slotted rotors, navigator wheels, and 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks.

It needs some work- lean codes, driver door actuator, driver side tie rod, both front seats ripped( neoprene seat covers already on order) but I got a great deal. Going to do a full fluid and filter change this week and clean the maf to hopefully get rid of the lean codes. Then fix the issues and add speakers.

It was an air ride vehicle but the previous owner had a shop install the conversion to coils. Ill probably crank the torsion bars to level the nose and left to right but I know I wont get much out of the air ride torsion bars. It runs and drives like a much newer vehicle and I'm looking forward to cleaning her up and then getting her dirty.
expedition_zps0fa905fe.jpg

Last edited:

MoHawk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say welcome, but you have been here much longer than I have. However, welcome to the world of Expy. Sounds like a good platform to start with. If you get sick of the seat covers, shop around for an upholstery shop. The price to re-cover seats may surprise you, plus you can choose the color and material.

OP
OP
M

Madmaxwell87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I actually work at a dealership so I have a seat guy that can repair it. I'm not a huge fan of leather so even if they were in perfect shape I'd probably get covers. I love having the waterproof aspect and the extra little padding it offers.

Now I just need to find a decent solution to keeping some tools and stuff in the back without them flying around when off roading. I might just have to get anchors and an action packer to strap down.

MoHawk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could always have the seats reupholstered in Wet Suit material (like Wet Okole). That would be bad ass

OP
OP
M

Madmaxwell87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got her cleaned up. The paint was very sun baked and scratched. The paint has come back to life and the interior is spotless. Put new headlight bulbs in and have a set of all 4 speakers and a new head unit on the way to go with the seat covers. Also got the supplies for a full fluid change and painting the wheels black on the way.
IMG_20131101_110839_121-1_zpsd65e2721.jpg

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
She is very pretty :). I miss my first gen Expedition. It was black with a grill like that too.

OP
OP
M

Madmaxwell87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you! I was in my big red truck for almost 7 years and I customized every little thing on it so I'm still getting used to a black suv but I like it more every day.

Got the new pioneer head unit with bluetooth installed along with pioneer 4 way 6x8's in all 4 doors, got the seat covers put on. They have black sides with a charcoal center and work very well with the interior. There's still too much grey so I might paint the radio surround black like I did on my truck just to break it up. Gonna swap out the interior lights for LED's all around as well as the back up and license plate lights.

Got some sylvania headlight bulbs but the truck needs clear headlights and corners as well as a LED light bar up front. For right now I'm gonna crank the torsion bars to level it out and just enjoy it. Its so nice being back in a V8 and having torque again.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One awesome upgrade that I did to mine that I would suggest is getting 2nd gen Navigator seats for it. It was a pain to figure out how to get it wired in, but finally did and they were super comfortable. I never got around to actually wiring in the seat heater/cooler, but it was great without it and they are a direct bolt-in.