01 expy 5.4l engine removal help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mystic_doughgod

Reaction score
hey guys im very new to thread sites but i need some help. i am planning on removing my motor to replace the head gaskets. i know its a big job but i am fairly comfortable doing it. i want some input on to what should i also replace since the motor is out. I already have the gaskets, water pump, head bolts. also do i have to or should i replace the rear main seal and is there anything else to be replaced as far as reataching the tranny.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not just install the head gaskets with the motor in the truck? If it were me and I were taking the engine out, I would replace all seals so as to avoid having to do the same thing again. I would redo the manifold studs if you haven't already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mystic_doughgod

Reaction score
i was going to go that route it just seems to me that there is not alot of room at all and i am a bigger guy. i would like to know if anyone has done the headgasket job themselves and how they did it . i also thought that taking it out would help just incase the exhaust manifold bolts break. i hope not but have heard its a common problem.

Last edited:

06KR

Reaction score
Did it myself, both heads. You can do it in the truck but it is a pain! I would also change timing chains, plugs, wires, thermostat, and manifold studs. You should try to lock the cams in place to. You will also need sealant since a couple of bolts are in coolant passage ways. If you can scrub out everything you can if you have access to a sizable parts cleaner. I Plopped my heads, manifold well just about everything in mine. If you have competant help it can be done in about 3 twelve hour days. If you do it in the truck about the only thing lef in there is the block, ac compressor, power steering pump and wiring harness. The radiator will also have to come out.

Good luck

Kracker

Reaction score
While you have it out i would change everything possible within your budget to create less of a headache in the future. You also might want to extend the a/c drain tube away from the o2 sensor bank 1, just take a good look around while its out for things that are easier to get to. just my $.02

OP
OP
M

mystic_doughgod

Reaction score
what about once inside the heads is there any specific parts that should be replaced that are know to cause issues besides the seals.

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what about once inside the heads is there any specific parts that should be replaced that are know to cause issues besides the seals.

Could always replace the lifters but its not entirely nessacary. Could also change the oil pump while its out but again... Not nessacary if your pressure is good.
I'd definitely do all new gaskets and timing chains as was mentioned. Might also want to considering having a machine shop check for warpage and cracks on the heads. Seeing as your pulling them off its a nice bit of extra insurance and not all that expensive when you consider what it would take to pull the engine again.
It is possible to do it in the truck but really I can't say what's more of a pain in the butt. This is a great thread about a guy who recently pulled on side on his.
http://www.expeditionforum.com/f27/banker-tools-vs-cylinder-head-18726/
Definitely worth the read even if you do pull the motor.

Good luck!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you pull the motor, I would replace the motor mounts if they are at all questionable.

If you find the valve covers do not hold new gasket tightly I would replace them as well. Had issues with mine leaking because the gap had opened up in the channel where the gasket is held in place. New factory covers come with new gasket and bolts.

Timing chain & hardware as mentioned should be replaced. It is sold as a kit.

I would consider taking the heads to a machine shop and have them "cleaned up" maybe valve seals replaced and plug inserts installed. But it all depends on your budget. New ford racing PI heads w/8 thread count plug holes complete with cams and lifters can be purchased for about $900 (pair) so keep that in mine. There are minor differences vs "windsor" heads though. So if your heads are windsor the new heads would require "romeo" valve covers and timing cover bolts to head are a size smaller.